Green Onion's style

BBOP

Blues Newbie
theres  mike!!!wohooo :cool:
wuda hog tie us together!!
guess it took a lil bit for it to load cuz it works great now!! good job bud!!
rog [smiley=beer.gif]
this is kinda new were we start @ opposite ends and meet in the middle but it worked!! ;D

BBOP

Blues Newbie
I wasn't game to open Mikes based on the above comments.
its good to go john!! i think mike jus used quick time player to load or something to that effect but my puter didnt blow up or nuffin!! ;D

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
same click to play & as soon as I do IE crashes/freezes - best to avoid

LP

I usually use FireFox, but I just checked it in IE 9 and it worked fine. Let me know if you are still having problems with the recording and I'll stop using the built in player.

johnc

systematic
Your technology must be to advanced Mike.  My old clunker in my studio won't play it.  I'll try on my note book later it's a bit more advanced.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
I like to put completed jams on my phone for portability.  :)

http://www.4shared.com/audio/pUVkjdyO/12_20bar_20boogie_20e-XXXXXX.html

johnc

systematic
OK thanks Jon, All sounded great.
Nice contrasting tone and in there Mike, you filled the gap perfectly.

JohnF

Blues Junior
Great song. Thanks Jon for the conversion. Like you I also like to put the finished jams on CD so I can listen in the car. Great job everyone.

S

Sarasota_Player

First off, the backing track sounds more like "Help Me" than "Green Onions". Green Onions is a tad more mellow.

Second, can't ANYONE play 'blues' without all the cheap battery operated stomp boxes? Blues is played with guitar TONE, not "Metallica Does Eddie Van Halen". You guys are having fun at the expense of music quality. Try using the Tone Control and a little over drive from the amp. That's blues. Think EC or Joe Bonamassa.

I don't mean to put anyone down, but every one of these "Email Band" compilations sounds the same. Where's the tone quality? Plug in boxes DO NOT HIDE lack of skill.

Just my opinion, but if I'm posting an example of my playing ability, I don't need to stick every $49.95 Tone Destroyer into EVERYTHING I play. IMO, for what it's worth.

Stick to the roots. This is "Blues Guitar Unleashed", not "Pedal Board Unleashed" !!!

:cool:

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
First off, the backing track sounds more like "Help Me" than "Green Onions". Green Onions is a tad more mellow.

Second, can't ANYONE play 'blues' without all the cheap battery operated stomp boxes? Blues is played with guitar TONE, not "Metallica Does Eddie Van Halen". You guys are having fun at the expense of music quality. Try using the Tone Control and a little over drive from the amp. That's blues. Think EC or Joe Bonamassa.

I don't mean to put anyone down, but every one of these "Email Band" compilations sounds the same. Where's the tone quality? Plug in boxes DO NOT HIDE lack of skill.

Just my opinion, but if I'm posting an example of my playing ability, I don't need to stick every $49.95 Tone Destroyer into EVERYTHING I play. IMO, for what it's worth.

Stick to the roots. This is "Blues Guitar Unleashed", not "Pedal Board Unleashed" !!!

:cool:

Well TJJ (Sarasota),  If you would take time to go through the various postings you'll find that the members participating in theses Jams are trying different things at different times in regards to tone. There are Mic'd amp recordings played clean, there are Mic'd amps with stomp boxes and yes there is POD Farm effects in here a lot too. I've done a little of all and I've even dropped some acoustic guitar in there.

It is also about the the learning process involved in all of the things that go along with what we are doing here.

The primary objective is to play something in all the various keys using the things we've learned.  As we go along we try different amp settings and different effects along the way while we search for our individual voices.

These were never intended to be Studio Quality Professional tracks they are about the learning and having fun.

Feel free to jump in on the next one and show us how it's done. That's how we all get better.

S

Sarasota_Player

Hey, I apologize if I offended anyone. Certainly not my intent. My remark is more a cry for a return to simpler, more basic, roots style of playing and tone. I'm not throwing Richie Blackmore in your face and saying, "Here, play this". I'm just pointing out that a lot of players use a lot of electronica in a genre based on three simple chords and a little amp in the corner of a bar in Somewhere, Miss. Wayne did a an incredible cover of Albert King with no pick.

That's blues, boys, and someone we should learn from and respect.

I'm no SRV, I know that, but I do get my sound from a guitar, a chord, and a little amp. It's a good place to start.

Maybe I've just got a lousy way of trying to making a good point. (Again) The fact that some people are TRYING to get together is, in of itself, a minor miracle, and it goes a long way towards making this group actual 'blues' students. It's what we hear in Griff's playing that attracts us. We've all rocked and had the 100 watt ear drum destroyers and now look for a simpler, more expressive way to make music. It's now how many notes you play, or how fast you play them, that defines a bluesman. Look at Muddy, or John Lee. Hardly virtuoso 'speed ballers', but oh what a story those few notes tell.

I'd just like to see the Virtual Jam Room be a tribute to the truth. And the truth is, most blues is played with a minimum of add ons, bolt ons, chrome wheels and fuzzy dice.

No offense meant. As soon as I can get my lazy butt fired up, I'd love to join a jam, if you guys will have me and got room for one more ...  :cool:

PS - And no, I haven't been following the thread closely. I have been sick with food poisoning. Also, every time I pop up my head, I get attacked with arguments about who is "The Greatest Blah, Blah, Blah and quite frankly, I'm so sick of cyber bullies that I just pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday. Somehow, I've got to get away.

I think the Virtual Jam is the ONLY saving grace of the entire Forum, other than the Song Writers Section.

Keep up the good work. You've got my love ...  ;)

VJR ROCKS !  (But, tastefully, please ... So  much work deserves your best effort ...)

L

Lame_Pinkey

Hey Mike the player function is working fine now - no crashes or freezes on IE - sounding good to, all of you, despite TJJ class spanking !

LP

...oops did I just post again ?  :-/

johnc

systematic
Hi TJJ,  Yeah I hear what you are saying, but but we are all learning and I dare say that all players including Bluesmen have experimented with their sound at times through their progress as players.
I would hope that when players hear themselves back and then also listen to their favourite artists and others to compare with we will define our sound which may well be in fact more pure and simple in the end. 
Everyone out there is bombarded with technology these days and particularly for bedroom practice it is often impractical to belt out some beautiful pure tube tone so the all too often digital modeling is played around with and yes it's a learning curve and we all here are students finding our way with both the playing and the sound.

My personal taste for tone is getting more basic the longer I have been playing and most often just play as you say, plug into the Tubes and play.  I like a little room (reverb) in there and like the tone of the tubes working a bit but at low volumes will click one of my OD pedals into the mix but with minor degrees of drive. So I haven't done much different to what you are saying.

You seem to be no doubt more advanced down the track than many of us and seem a little frustrated listening to what you feel are players making mistakes with our tone and I appreciate your input but it's a learning curve.

It would be great and very helpful to hear good examples of tone as well as playing and I think that is the great thing about this part of the forum and to have discussion on it based on individual performances and recordings and giving constructive and supportive feedback each other rather than perhaps generalise that everyone on here has no idea about tone.

I look forward to hearing your work and assistance with what makes a good sound for Blues Guitar, so please feel most welcome to either start a new project or join in with one and let us know your setup and reasons etc.

Also just as a side issue I don't believe that this topic needs to be blues specific athough the BGU forum is, so other genres and sounds will no doubt be played around with so we don't need to be overly rigid with it. It's just for the fun of learning and comparing.
Thanks for your input.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
TJJ, I am probably the most inexperienced in this section. I was welcomed and persuaded to have a go at a solo here. I ended up with problems with Audicity. The guys here helped me get that fixed. Then I did a solo (with great nervousness). I was given constructive feed back. I know that I will jump in again at some point. My point is this is a learning and stretching part of the forum. It is all good, acoustic, fender, different amps, foot boxes etc. It gives all of us an insight into other options. I own no pedals but I like to hear them so I can decide if I will get one or more in the future. Right now I like to keep it simple because I am learning. In the future I may want to add something but if that happens I will know what I want because I was able to hear it on this forum.
I look forward to hearing your solo on here as I too like the simple approach. :)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
It  doesn't matter if you're acoustic or electric, nylon or steel, fuzzed, distorted, wah-ed, phazered, lazered, or hodge podge strained through a Leslie.  As long as you're playing here and working to make your next solo sound better than your last one, the Jam Room wants you!

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
TJJ, while you do have a point about over-use of effects, I'd have to disagree with you from a personal standpoint. Sure, the Mustangs are modelling amps, but my Fuse setups are usually spring reverbs and a touch of delay.

Were I to take offense at any part of your statement, it would be your saying we all sound the same. I strongly disagree, but I also choose to not be offended by your opinions.  [smiley=beer.gif]

You're always welcome to participate.  [smiley=beer.gif]

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
TJJ, while you do have a point about over-use of effects, I'd have to disagree with you from a personal standpoint. Sure, the Mustangs are modelling amps, but my Fuse setups are usually spring reverbs and a touch of delay.

Were I to take offense at any part of your statement, it would be your saying we all sound the same. I strongly disagree, but I also choose to not be offended by your opinions.  [smiley=beer.gif]

You're always welcome to participate.  [smiley=beer.gif]
Gee whiz Jon, I'd take no offense at all if someone told me I sounded like you (or Griff, or Wayne...) in fact I'd consider it a complement ;)