Gimme All Your Solos - In D

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I've been fooling around and doing some deep diving this week into my DAW and the MIDI tools that come with it. MIDI has been a mystery to me and I've been meaning to work on the drum tools that come with Cubase for a long time, but I never really disciplined myself to sit down and spend any time with it. Playing solos over backing tracks is just too much fun.

But this week I finally managed to spend some quality time with my DAW. I decided learn how to put together a drum beat from scratch, with no tools except my basic (not a drum machine) software, my computer keyboard and a mouse. While I was at it, I also put together a MIDI bass track, mainly so I wouldn't lose my sanity (or my place) listening to hours of just 1-2 drum beats.

The beat is started with the idea to copy the characteristic drum riff from ZZ Top's 'Gimme All Your Lovin,' but in a 12 bar format. There are three bridges where I decided to abandon the 12 bar format and include ZZ Top's refrain. The plan was, I when I got the drum track to my liking, I was going to lay down a "real" bass track on it. But by the time I had tweaked a few things, the bass line sounded pretty much like what I would play, so I put in a few timing errors and one or two missed notes and it started sounding like me, so the MIDI track became the final bass track. There is no rhythm guitar in it.

It comes in at about 9 minutes. I'll leave it here in the hopes someone finds it worthy of using.

https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/VJR/clean/GimmeAllYourSolos-D.mp3

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
***RECORDING***

This one was a little harder than a generic backing track because I felt like there was an expectation to play something that sounded like B.F.G. soloing rather than just playing whatever came out. I think my take on it is still much closer to being "whatever came out" as I played. I did add (or distract maybe?) a little piano on the first half. Since I have never played piano and soon realized that the same fingering on different chords can be major or minor, I just plunked down some 5th chords to avoid the major / minor issue. I also have a pretty abrupt ending. For some reason I couldn't find a good place to end.
I am in from 1:19 - 2:30.

Gimme All Your Solos - D - MM-TZ

Last edited:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
TZ,
Stick to playing guitar:ROFLMAO:
Just kidding:whistle:
Not bad piano work...Guitar was totally Zeppy(y)

Im not sure what possessed me to try the piano? That little 25 key Alesis has been setting on the desk for quite awhile collecting dust. My 7 year old granddaughter just had her first piano recital this weekend, so I figured I may as well use it. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it:whistle:. I did try to keep it low in the mix but might not have got it low enough.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Paleo,
Like a tommy-gun shoot'n the place up with rounds of hot guitar tone.
:thumbup:

What's up with the rhythm piece?
Sounds good, where does that fit in:unsure: