Electric Guitars G&L Anyone?

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
Who else plays on here plays G&L guitars? I have two and love them both. The natural is an ASAT Bluesboy import model and just a absolute joy to play, A few minor fit and finish issues but nothing worth bitching about. The guitar sounds and plays as well as any American Tele I have come across. The red one is a 40th anniversary made in Fullerton S-500 and is a mother FN masterpiece.EAE90E49-5064-424B-95F7-8F685BA3131B.jpeg

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
Griff has one. Not sure if it's this one though.

That Live at Leo’s video actually was the one that pushed me over the edge to the S-500, the MFD pups and PTB controls make this guitar so versatile it’s mind boggling. No gimmicks or tricks just Leo Fenders final vision of what the double cutaway, SSS guitar should be. If you haven’t experienced the GL MFD pups, you should really take a look and listen. The 40th anniversary S-500 is stunning, plays and sound even better than it looks, with the CLF headstock it is truly unique.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I can't say that I have (or have even tried) a G&L, but those Blues Boy models got on my radar a few months ago. So they're now on my list to pick one up at some point. They look like they'd be killer guitars.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I got one of the Asat Tribute Teles a couple of years ago as a Stupid Deal of the Day. I think I paid around US$300 for it. Very nice guitar for the money; only negative was it came without any kind of setup at all so needed some TLC to be playable.

It ended up a gift for my nephew who was just starting out learning guitar and he loves it.

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
I can't say that I have (or have even tried) a G&L, but those Blues Boy models got on my radar a few months ago. So they're now on my list to pick one up at some point. They look like they'd be killer guitars.
My Bluesboy is the Tribute model and had I known how much I would love it, I would have ponied up for the Made in Fullerton model. That said, the GL tributes are the most impressive overseas guitars I have ever seen. The imports are sent back to Fullerton for final set up and play amazing right out of the box. Not kidding, straight neck, no fret buzz, clean switching and just a joy.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I own a legacy strat, its still probably my number 1 guitar. I picked it up 20 years ago when a local music store was going out of business. Previously, I'd had a mim strat which was a beautiful sunburst (my favored strat finish), but less satisfying to play or listen to. I also have an early f-100 thats pretty interesting. I bought it at a yard sale 25 years ago for about $200 and it had been banged around. A solid guitar, it had pickups changed, so I don't know how the originals sounded. Its a great guitar, but I'm not crazy about maple fretboards and I still can't remember what all the switches are for.
The only guitar on my wishlist now is a tele, and a G&L would be at the top of my list. Glad to hear the tributes are nice, it makes me seriously consider one. But, with a month old PRS se custom22 getting most of my attention, I'll just keep the missus happy for a while first. I can get a good tele-spank out of the legacy, anyway. In short, I love G&L guitars.

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
I own a legacy strat, its still probably my number 1 guitar. I picked it up 20 years ago when a local music store was going out of business. Previously, I'd had a mim strat which was a beautiful sunburst (my favored strat finish), but less satisfying to play or listen to. I also have an early f-100 thats pretty interesting. I bought it at a yard sale 25 years ago for about $200 and it had been banged around. A solid guitar, it had pickups changed, so I don't know how the originals sounded. Its a great guitar, but I'm not crazy about maple fretboards and I still can't remember what all the switches are for.
The only guitar on my wishlist now is a tele, and a G&L would be at the top of my list. Glad to hear the tributes are nice, it makes me seriously consider one. But, with a month old PRS se custom22 getting most of my attention, I'll just keep the missus happy for a while first. I can get a good tele-spank out of the legacy, anyway. In short, I love G&L guitars.
I have played a couple Legacy’s, 3- screw and 4-screw necks, both made in Fullerton and really enjoyed. The fit and finish on both was amazing, the set up was perfect, played and sounded like a Fender Custom Shop at half the price. However, the single coils on Legacy’s sound like single coils on on a wide range of Stratocaster’s, to me anyhow. That’s where the MFD pups and PTB controls really shine on the S-500, IMHO. So like you... I love my GL’s!

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I have played a couple Legacy’s, 3- screw and 4-screw necks, both made in Fullerton and really enjoyed. The fit and finish on both was amazing, the set up was perfect, played and sounded like a Fender Custom Shop at half the price. However, the single coils on Legacy’s sound like single coils on on a wide range of Stratocaster’s, to me anyhow. That’s where the MFD pups and PTB controls really shine on the S-500, IMHO. So like you... I love my GL’s!
Agree with everything you say, wish my f-100 had its original pickups.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I have a Tribute ASAT Deluxe carved-top. My only issue was some really unlevel frets when I first got it. They paid for fret leveling, and it's been a really great guitar ever since. It's super comfortable to play and it sounds great.

jporzelius

Blues Junior
I adore my Irish Ale Tribute G&L 500. The medium C neck is perfect for me an the MFD pickups and PTB system give me so many options to adjust my sound. I now use it alone for gigs where I used to switch between my tele and Les Paul. I don't own any super high end guitars but I am very pleased with the quality of the Tribute. There are a couple small marks on the edge of the fretboard and I replaced the nut with a black tusq so it will stay in tune when I crank on the whammy bar, otherwise it came in perfect shape. I like that the pickups in the tributes are the same american made pickups in the Fullertons.

I am very pleased with it.

Attachments

• irish ale.jpg
    irish ale.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 18

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
I adore my Irish Ale Tribute G&L 500. The medium C neck is perfect for me an the MFD pickups and PTB system give me so many options to adjust my sound. I now use it alone for gigs where I used to switch between my tele and Les Paul. I don't own any super high end guitars but I am very pleased with the quality of the Tribute. There are a couple small marks on the edge of the fretboard and I replaced the nut with a black tusq so it will stay in tune when I crank on the whammy bar, otherwise it came in perfect shape. I like that the pickups in the tributes are the same american made pickups in the Fullertons.

I am very pleased with it.
That is a beauty for sure, I have the same tortoise shell pick guard in my bluesboy tribute and I adore it as well.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
My Carvin Bolt has a bridge add switch that adds the bridge pickup to any other position on the 5-way switch. So, in position 1, it's obviously no change, just the bridge. Same with position 4- bridge and middle. Position 3 is also bridge and middle (with the add bridge switch on). Position 4 is all three, and position 5 is bridge and neck pickups. With the bridge add switch turned off, it's a standard 5-way switch set up.

ChicagoCharlie

Blues Newbie
G&L - have you ever checked out the custom options and finishes for the USA made G&L's?

Orange Amps - oh nice!

Most folk would not consider them as blues or jazz amps. Please tell me about them.

A couple of years back, I got tired of my practice amp - a Kustom Hybrid, a 65 watt amp. Went to the local family run music store [ less than 10 miles from our GC and is doing very well ] and had my heart set on a Vox.

Couldn't get into what I was hearing, so the store owner plugged a longer patch cord into my guitar, told me to turn around, and start playing. He plugged me into several amps and I had no friggin idea of what he was plugging me into.

The winner was an Orange CR 60. I was impressed and it turned out to be a solid state amp. Later, I replaced the Voice of the World speaker with a V-30 and this move totally opened up the amp's sound.
Another speaker that might work well in the Orange would be the Eminence Ragin Cajun - it has a bit of firm and smooth push with the bass and highs while the mid range is basically flat.

Since I bought it, I've been playing it more than my main amp and yes, it will stand up to a drummer.

I'm done talking. What about your Oranges?

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
G&L - have you ever checked out the custom options and finishes for the USA made G&L's?

Orange Amps - oh nice!

Most folk would not consider them as blues or jazz amps. Please tell me about them.
I'm done talking. What about your Oranges?
I’m a G&L guy to a fault and yes, the custom options are mind boggling. That said I just bought a mint, made in Fullerton 2017 Belaire Green, double white bound, vintage maple neck and fretboard Bluesboy off of Reverb. It’s in route as I write, can’t wait to get my hands on it. I’ll post pics once it gets here.

So I have a Rocker 15 tube amp that just sounds amazing in any configuration. The other one is a Crush 35 RT solid state, both 10” VOW. I use my Rocker 15 most of the time but can run both and really blow your mind. I run both on the clean channels and overdrive the tube amp but keep the solid state crystal clean, but run a Dunlop preamp in the SS FX loop, sounds like a tube amp.
My next Orange amp will be a Tremlord 30, if you haven’t had the pleasure, find one, plug your guitar straight into it and listen to all the nuances of that masterpiece.