Floating an idea

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
I'm not sure if Audacity even lets you export to a .wav file (?).  And don't .wav files take a lot more space than MP3 files (thinking of Dropbox space) (?)

Yes it will and yes they do.

Let me expand on this:  Although I don't use Audacity myself and I had to look it up here   Converting Audacity to Wav files I was certain that I had gotten wav files from clients that do use Audacity.

Looking at the tutorial, the only things that I would suggest for a project such as I have described would be to save the wav file as 24 bit and 48kHz.  You may not be able to play that with a standard wav player though, it depends on what you use.  I think windows media player will still, but it is the best combination of bit depth and sample rate for quality vs file size.

YES the file size is greater for a wav file.  For example an 5 minute MP3 file of about 12 MB or so is going to be 25.8 MB at 16 bit 44100 kHz, or "CD Quality", and at 24 bit 48000 kHz it will be 42.8 Mb.

However the quality of the audio is far superior AND a person would not need to leave that file on their dropbox once it was picked up, so that would save space.  Free drop box offers....what 2GB which is really quite a bit of available space.

And Marv is correct.  I do provide a dropbox link to clients to upload and they also to me, so no biggie either way.

Just something to think about, and perhaps some fun being able to get and share a higher fidelity recording of your hard work.

Cowboy Bob

My other thought along these same lines was to perhaps lay down a foundation track of a popular common song.  Leave out vocals or rhythm guitar or bass or lead breaks...whatever, and ask for those particular parts from participants.

For instance; one of our talented multi-instrumentalists (or you can buy these kind of tracks for a buck $) could lay down the the rhythm back bone (bass and drums) of.....I don't know......Milk Cow Blues...whatever in the style of Willie Nelson.  OK maybe not but you get the idea.  It is a song that could be looked up and listened to, and someone could record their interpretation of the part, or copy as best they can.

Sometimes, emulating or copying something that has been done can be a more effective solution to learning something new.

Sometimes you may not understand WHY it works, only that it DOES and sometimes, that is the spark that is needed.

More food for thought is all.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey CB,
I'm up for new Ideas.
You're volunteering some extra time and effort to make us all sound better........that's mighty neighborly of you.
It's got a few extra steps but, what the heck.
I say kick one off and see where it goes.

This might only be relevant to a few folks:
My internet connection is all broadband wireless and my data and speed are limited at times, so large WAV files are a little difficult to manage.

PS,
Take of that recording hat from time to time and grab a pick.

Cowboy Bob

Hey CB,
I'm up for new Ideas.
You're volunteering some extra time and effort to make us all sound better........that's mighty neighborly of you.

I may or may not have mentioned, I am also an educator, having been and adjunct professor for over 20 years and I do like teaching.....naw it's showing off that I like really   ;D  Please don't anyone take this the wrong way, but I wouldn't let it cost me any money to speak of....like interfering with a client deadline or my day gig.  This is play time. 

It's got a few extra steps but, what the heck.
I say kick one off and see where it goes.

OK.  I have one in mind as a matter of course.  Fairly well know, fairly well covered, easy lyrics.  Give me through the weekend, and I'll get 'er started.

This might only be relevant to a few folks:
My internet connection is all broadband wireless and my data and speed are limited at times, so large WAV files are a little difficult to manage.

Yes, I understand that.  Although I am close enough to town to have cable internet, the speed and connectivity are really unreliable.  I don't pay per hour, thank heavens, I pay per GB uploaded/downloaded.  When I do an update for Pro Tools or some of my VIs or other plugins, it literally takes HOURS to download.  I don't have my studio 'puter on the interweb though so I can still work.  I use my laptop for up and down loads then transfer via thumb drive.

PS,
Take of that recording hat from time to time and grab a pick.

Moi???  Yeah I have posted some of my stuff, well not to VJR but to OTHER.   [smiley=lolk.gif]

Honestly I am just getting back to being able to HOLD my axe again.  I had an accident 6 weeks ago and I could not even raise my left arm enough to put on a shirt.  Momma had to help me get dressed.  It is better now though, and I was able to pick for about an hour last night before it got too sore.  I have a few hours worth of recording guitar tracks that I owe yet so this weekend should be good.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Good info SHarpo.

I'm just thinking out load here.
We've got some interesting ideas going that require a certin degree of skill in recording and posting files  etc.
We also have people wanting to help out by providing some guidance in that area.
How about we post some of our advice and directions in the area directly above VJR (RECORDING TIPS AND TRICKS) and reference that in future posts?
That way all the directional stuff has a home separate from the active jams.
If you feel it's necessary to provide guidance on a certain recording technique , just reference that link in your post in VJR.

Kommetjie

Blues Newbie
My other thought along these same lines was to perhaps lay down a foundation track of a popular common song.  Leave out vocals or rhythm guitar or bass or lead breaks...whatever, and ask for those particular parts from participants.

For instance; one of our talented multi-instrumentalists (or you can buy these kind of tracks for a buck $) could lay down the the rhythm back bone (bass and drums) of.....I don't know......Milk Cow Blues...whatever in the style of Willie Nelson.  OK maybe not but you get the idea.  It is a song that could be looked up and listened to, and someone could record their interpretation of the part, or copy as best they can.

Sometimes, emulating or copying something that has been done can be a more effective solution to learning something new.

Sometimes you may not understand WHY it works, only that it DOES and sometimes, that is the spark that is needed.

More food for thought is all.

Interesting concept, here's a blues tune with which to kick it off . . . needs guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/kommetjie/rooster-in-g

Annie

On my way
I was thinking of there being a whole new section (folder) just for songs that people want polished off. That way different people could do several different versions of one song. Just leave the VJR like it is and keep going with its original format. There also can be a new section(folder) for more high quality professional recordings (those bigger wave files).It just seems like it would be less confusing if people knew what they needed to do and where the best place is. What do you all think about asking the Moderators about this and do you think it is a good idea or not?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, the original VJR format is already "intimidating" enough to discourage quite a few judging by how few people actually participate vs. how many there are using the forum.  Don't know if that's just that they don't feel "ready" or if it's because of the "learning curve" to learn to use Audacity / Garageband / etc., to set up a Dropbox / Souncloud account and learn to use those, etc.

So I'm not for adding any more complexity to it.  A whole new area though for more complex things would be fine.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Isn't the Other Member Recordings section for "polishing" off songs that people are working on?  Not sure that's exactly what you were referring to Annie but I know folks working on a tough solo for example will post versions as they master.  There have also been, what's the word, when a few folks work on a single song and then post it. 

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
We've had lot's of interesting jibber jabber about VJR ideas.
I believe some of that stuff could use futher exploration or at least some more feedback from members.
Having said that....we've gone way off the rails on the concept of DYI song.
I'd like to suggest that those with new ideas, like Cowboy Bob's, be regenerated in a under a new topic so we can focus discussion on that.

Kommetjie,
I think your song got lost in the discussion.
I'm taking the liberty of re-posting that in a new topic so it can get some attention.

The original concept of DYI jam actually has gotten some good participation.
I'm soliciting members to help finish that piece so we can move on.
I believe the last contributor was RR with this link:
HomeCook'nBluesXXXXOOOO

Cowboy Bob

[glow=yellow,2,300][/glow]
Isn't the Other Member Recordings section for "polishing" off songs that people are working on?  Not sure that's exactly what you were referring to Annie but I know folks working on a tough solo for example will post versions as they master.  There have also been, what's the word, when a few folks work on a single song and then post it. 

Far be it from me to cause or add to any friction at all.  That is certainly not my intent.  I tend to be very low impact.  I only offered an avenue for getting what is already being done HERE into a higher fidelity format with some professional signal processing.

I meant for it to be fun, exciting and even a learning experience.  I would encourage ANYONE to participate.  I would make mixes with all submissions.

This is the description of VJR:  These are "jam session" style [glow=yellow,2,300]recordings that are being worked on by groups and passed around[/glow]. If you are submitting a recording of your own thing by yourself, please use the other board.  I don't see that what any of us has proposed is in conflict. 

If popular opinion is such that it is felt that these types of ideas are detrimental, I withdraw my offer.

No hard feelings.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
[glow=yellow,2,300][/glow]

Far be it from me to cause or add to any friction at all.  That is certainly not my intent.  I tend to be very low impact.  I only offered an avenue for getting what is already being done HERE into a higher fidelity format with some professional signal processing.

I meant for it to be fun, exciting and even a learning experience.  I would encourage ANYONE to participate.  I would make mixes with all submissions.

This is the description of VJR:  These are "jam session" style [glow=yellow,2,300]recordings that are being worked on by groups and passed around[/glow]. If you are submitting a recording of your own thing by yourself, please use the other board.  I don't see that what any of us has proposed is in conflict. 

If popular opinion is such that it is felt that these types of ideas are detrimental, I withdraw my offer.

No hard feelings.

No intent assumed. Nor should opening up the topic lead to friction. As for me I was just thinking about what the current options are.  It's all up for discussion. 

giayank

Just another day in paradise
I think Cowboy Bob's suggestion is a great Idea . Many members have special talents . If One wants to take their time to increase the quality of the recording great .I'm not a sound guy I want to be able to record myself for posting purposes if somebody who is skilled at mixing wants to help with the recording quality please do so . Anyone who has heard some of my mixes knows I could use the help . :)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
This thread has gotten so scatterwound that it might be good to know now who played what in CaptainM's link above.
Drums are CaptainM with various percussion "tactics".
Bass and Rhythm are Jalepeno.
The first X is Dan.
The next two X's are Marv
The next X is me.
The last two X's are CaptainM.

Sweet job on the last two X's, CaptainM!