Floating an idea

Kommetjie

Blues Newbie
Just floating an idea.
We've got loads of talent and lots or fancy gear.
How about we make something from scratch.....no backing tracks, no drum machines....just people mak'n music together.

Great idea!

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Here is my attempt at bass. I've also put up the reference rhythm guitar I used so I could keep track of where I was. Whoever does the rhythm guitar track don't be influenced by it, I just posted it so you could get where the bass line came from. Let me tell you it is so EASY to get lost even with 12 bar when you don't have a live drummer to play the bass against  :eek:

Beat with the Bass added

Beat with the reference guitar and Bass

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey Jalapeno,
Nice work.
Man...I'm certainly no drummer and if I tried I might be able to fake a bass but, this is much harder then it seems when you're doing it bit by bit.
Anyways...It sure starts to sound like music when you add the rhythm guitar
Let's take it from there.
I'm gonna lay something down over your peace with the reference guitar.
[glow=yellow,2,300]The Recording Light Is On[/glow]

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I'm noticing that the drums are almost gone on the track with the reference guitar.  Not real easy to pick them out on the just-drums-and-bass track either.  So perhaps we need to be real careful to not lose them in subsequent mixes?

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
The "drum" part was not too loud to begin with. I've imported both my BeatWithBass and the original Beat into Audacity and combined them. I left it as a .wav too. Is this better?

Beat[sup]2[/sup] and Bass

(CaptainMoto is recording now so if he doesn't fix it I can fix it after he posts, or if the drums get too soft they can be recorded again over the latest track.)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Ok kids,
I ran with J's version with rhythm, I just added  some small chords over his.
After reading RR's comment, I want back and tried to enhance the original beat.
So, if it sounds ok, we're off to the races.
VJR DYI 2
OOPS  didn't see you new file Jalapeno, I did the same as you...see how it sounds.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
haha great minds think alike :)   Sounds good, hear the drums really well in the mix from my speakers. Really nice additions Captain!!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
well, I'm playing bass for about 50 years. I'll contribute
David,
Looks like we got this one rolling with J's bass and rhythm.
Let's see where this one takes us.
Noth'n stopping you from starting a new one.
Take the "Beat" file and take it in a new direction if you'd like or, start something new.
My stab at drums was pretty lame.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
He's playin' a gee-tar.  Geez.  ;D
I have some errands to run after work today and some other things cookin' at home to tend to, so probably won't be able to jump in on this until tomorrow evening after work ... if there's still a slot left.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Well VDan's got us Cook'n.
I'm staying away from the kitchen for now lest I spoil the stew with too much Moto.
Waiting for some fresh ingredients.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I like the idea but I have concerns...we have a lot of people in the forum who are reluctant to visit the VJR and add a solo track...just take a look at the limited amount of participation...

I suggest we ask the moderators to create another area specific to the idea of adding multiple musical tracks, vocals, etc...

I have a lot of fun jumping in on some of the songs but I can appreciate how overwhelming it could be for a newbie...later.

cowboy