Floating an idea

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Just floating an idea.
We've got loads of talent and lots or fancy gear.
How about we make something from scratch.....no backing tracks, no drum machines....just people mak'n music together.

1. So...... how about we get somebody to lay down a good beat we can build on...maybe pound on a desk, beat a drum if you got one...use your guitar..whatever.
2. One of our bass players does his thing over that.
3. Somebody picks up the guitar rhythm.
4. Then the lead guys kick in.
5. Maybe you've got special piece of gear you wanna showcase....like Marv's magic harp machine or your daughter's triangle from band practice?

We'll have to play nice so........ if somebody takes a part we give'm time to create that part and the next one signs up for his or her part.

Yes/No?

giayank

Just another day in paradise
I'm an old white guy . I can't jump and I ain't got no rhythm but I haven't  let it stop me yet . Lmao . I'm game for it . Sounds like fun .If it turns out it's beyond my abilities I won't mind just listening and learning . :)

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
This is a great idea. If nobody has a drum set I have a BOSS DR 880 drum machine that I could use to cobble together a beat (I can make something up using the pads rather than using a preset beat if we want it to be totally original).

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
This is a great idea. If nobody has a drum set I have a BOSS DR 880 drum machine that I could use to cobble together a beat (I can make something up using the pads rather than using a preset beat if we want it to be totally original).
Hold on there big boy!
Read the rules...no drum machines...this is real people only.

I'll let this idea peculate here a while and see what comes up.
If we have no percussionists among the VGR ranks, then perhaps I'll get the ball rolling with something. 
I know we've got some bass players lurking around here but, there's usually not much they can do down here.
I'm hoping one of them will volunteer after we get a beat going.

JohnF

Blues Junior
I'm in. We did this 2 or 3 years ago and a couple of the tracks came out great. By the way,Losfish's wife is a drummer and he plays bass in his band. His wife is the drummer in one of the tracks called 10 cent beers, maybe on Trainthang too. Just a thought.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
It might also be interesting to find a good keyboard player to add some "Hammond B3" backing and maybe even a tenor sax player.  But sax parts are usually up front and more of a call and response thing than backing, so that might complicate things too much.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Read the rules...

Wait a minute, hold the phone.... Are you sure you're a guitar player? Read... the... rules? That would be like reading the manual.... well..... I ... never .... hmmmph  :D

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Oh, by the way, I started out as a bass player. I've only been playing guitar for 3 years. Been playing bass for 7 years.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Ok,
Not intended for go live yet but, here's a goofy attempt at trying to make a drum track.
No drum skills, no drum, no shame.
I listened to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vwN9lMfR1g
And made this.
Sans Drums?

Here's my kit:
Kick drum is me pounding on a Gobo
Snare is an acoustic with a peace of paper on the stings
Everything else is my start muted

I know we can do better then this.
We need somebody with some drum skills.