First shot with 11R...

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Got the 11R from Kevin before we took our trip last winter...finally got around to hooking it up...:whistle:...ya, I know...

I was running through the presets that Kevin had in it and came across a GH Stranger Blues (Gary Hoey) that was OK and seemed like a good starting point...so I grabbed the Les Paul and put down a rhythm track using the neck pickup but it was a bit too low end... so I did another track using the middle position...then just for giggles I played them both....hmmmm....got me thinking so I laid down a bit of a lead track (with more than a few missed notes)using the bridge pickup...

then I started to mix them and ended up panning one rhythm track to the left and the other to the right...give it a play and see if it works for you...this is my intro to using the 11R...so far, I'm loving it as a recording device but still like the Nace for live sound...less knobs to turn...;)...

let me know if the panning works for you and any other suggestions are also welcome...thanks...later.

cowboy

Eleven Rack Take #1

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Sounded good.
Pans worked as advertised:)

Sold my 11r........amazing piece of gear, just not for me.
I'm hung up on my tubes.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Got the 11R from Kevin before we took our trip last winter...finally got around to hooking it up...:whistle:...ya, I know...

I was running through the presets that Kevin had in it and came across a GH Stranger Blues (Gary Hoey) that was OK and seemed like a good starting point...so I grabbed the Les Paul and put down a rhythm track using the neck pickup but it was a bit too low end... so I did another track using the middle position...then just for giggles I played them both....hmmmm....got me thinking so I laid down a bit of a lead track (with more than a few missed notes)using the bridge pickup...

then I started to mix them and ended up panning one rhythm track to the left and the other to the right...give it a play and see if it works for you...this is my intro to using the 11R...so far, I'm loving it as a recording device but still like the Nace for live sound...less knobs to turn...;)...

let me know if the panning works for you and any other suggestions are also welcome...thanks...later.

cowboy

Eleven Rack Take #1

Sounds good.

Does your rig have Gary Hoey's Blues Shuffle preset? That and a Robben Ford's M-2 Robben Ford Lead are currently my two favorites. Most of the time on the Hoey preset, I turn off the Tube Screamer emulation. I like the Hoey preset for single coils and the Robben Ford preset for humbuckers, but they both work pretty well, either way.

Last edited:

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Sounds good.

Does your rig have Gary Hoey's Blues Shuffle preset? That and a Robben Ford's M-2 Robben Ford Lead are currently my two favorites. Most of the time on the Hoey preset, I turn off the Tube Screamer emulation. I like the Hoey preset for single coils and the Robben Ford preset for humbuckers, but they both work pretty well, either way.

Haven't really had time but will check those presets out for sure...thanks...later.

cowboy

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Make sure to get the 11r stand alone editor......its fantastic to have

Yes, I got that downloaded and have used just a little...kinda reminds me of the X-Edit that my RP500 has...love being able to adjust on screen with the knobs...figured the 11R was a good step up from the RP500 and a great way to record...later.

cowboy

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Good job, ol' son. If you bond with it, the Eleven Rack can surely take you down a rabbit hole of tone.

I've not touched my BandMaster or Twin Reverb since I got mine 5 years ago. I love it live. Just run it through the PA and have FRFR speaker to monitor on stage.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
It took me a year to bond with it............I wonder though,has anyone tried the microphone input with it ?

not quite yet but I'm headed in that direction...would like to end up just being able to plug and record with vocals, acoustic, electric and maybe even keyboards...I hate having to switch out gear...we'll see what happens...later.

cowboy

Cowboy Bob

............I wonder though,has anyone tried the microphone input with it ?

Absolutely!!! While not the BEST preamp, it is most certainly usable. The important thing to remember is that you can only run one input through a "RIG", but you can use all of the inputs simultaneously.

So if you want to use the SR amp model, for instance, to play a part and sing at the same time, your mic input (vocal) would be recorded DRY. No rig FX. Which can be really good, as you can affect them in the track later.

ALSO if you have a preamp that you prefer, you can use that with Eleven Rack also. You can actually use up to 3 microphones at once; a two channel mic pre and the mic input on 11R.

I've done it several times when using only 11R as my interface into ProTools.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
ALSO if you have a preamp that you prefer, you can use that with Eleven Rack also. You can actually use up to 3 microphones at once; a two channel mic pre and the mic input on 11R.

I've done it several times when using only 11R as my interface into ProTools.

Didn't Benoni studios put up a Youtube video about that?
Isn't he a friend of yours?

Cowboy Bob

Didn't Benoni studios put up a Youtube video about that?
Isn't he a friend of yours?

He is...well more of an acquaintance, but I don't remember if he did or not, it is possible.

It was talked about on a couple of the 11R forums and in the DUC a few times. The Manual also talks about it.

I have a ART two channel preamp that I like a lot, and have used that with 11R along with the mic input.

You can also use TWO 11R racks together, if you want to. If you are using just one computer then only one will be controlled with the "Editor". Just connect the second 11R to a line in, use a Y connector from your guitar to the two different 11Rs. Record each input (with a different rig on each 11R) in mono, pan hard left and right and you get a really nice dual amp effect. Or mix the pan as you wish.

There is a TON of things you can do with this very underrated orange box....in my not so humble opinion. :sneaky:

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
thanks for all the info...you guys are a step or two ahead of me but I did find some nice presets and got them loaded into the 11R...the mic thing is my next step...later.

cowboy

mpaq

Canfield, Ontario, Canada
....the clean and dirty Matchless presets are my goto's.....check em out. Also use Griffs Super Reverb presets quite a bit. I bought the 11r to use mainly as a recording interface with my laptop and I also like it as an effects processor. Not overwhelmed by the amp/cab sims but its fun to fool around with. For live music i still prefer my AC30 with a delay and overdrive pedal. Nothing more.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
didnt realise you were a vox man mpaq :),,,got rid of my ac30 and downgraded to an ac15 :),,,just didnt need the volume to get the thing cooking or to be honest the weight lol

mpaq

Canfield, Ontario, Canada
Hi Bill, never leaves my house so weight isnt an issue...its also a head/cab combo so its easier to move around when i need to. I only really use it when the guys come over to jam, for practice i usually just use my 11r or my Blues Jr. Ive thought about an attenuator for the AC30, but found i can get good tones with a good overdrive and some delay. How do you find the AC15 compares in terms of tone sacrifice?

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
To my ears very very close,,less clean headroom but got round that by changing the greenback to a much more efficient speaker (eminence wizard),, to be honest its hardly ever left the house either lol,,,still a fairly heavy lump,,,i used to use my vox modeling amps either 112 combo or 212 head and cab for the band as i needed the variety of tones to cover different songs

funny how you like the Matchless presets as they are based on a Vox :)