Pro Tools Eleven Rack/ Editor/ Pro Tools Help

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member

Cam_Thompson

Blues Newbie
For those of you with the 11 Rack, here is a pretty good video for recording both the 11 Rack Amp/pedal combination sounds, AS WELL AS the dry unaffected tone (good for using if you want to go back and "re-amp" your sound). Sometimes you have a great take, but on playback the tone of the amp etc just don't sit right in the mix.... So this allows you to capture the DRY PERFORMANCE, but send the performance BACK into the 11 Rack later, and change the amp settings (or run the dry performance to a software simulator).

Cam

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
I thought I would post this exchange from another thread about the 11r here. It has been useful for me and may benefit others. Thanks Lloyd!

sdbrit68 said:
Tried the manual, and online, no luck............I am NOT using pro-tools, especially since they now have the stand alone editor.

It will record via USB into audacity, no problem,but I only get what I believe is the dry signal ? basically no effects, just the guitar, does anyone know how to workaround that ?

I know how to adjust the 1/4 amp out signal, and audacity does give me the choice to record from 11r, I am sure its something I am missing

Did you download the latest drivers from Avid's website?
I posted this same issue on my forum back in September.

From Paparaptor:

It's in an old format that may not cut and paste well into this one, but here goes.

Looks like I got lucky when I set mine up.
I was able to duplicate your results with only the left channel and dry. On my input options, there are multiple Eleven Rack inputs (which I assume is how ProTools does their re-amp function).
This setting gave me the same results that you are getting.
InputSelect-Dry.jpg

Pay no attention to the other settings that show up. I also have another audio card installed in the computer. When I did the testing, I completely disabled the card from Device Manager and restarted the computer, just to make sure it wasn't coloring the results.

This is the setting that gives me the processed output from 11R, with both channels.

InputSelect-Wet.jpg

So you can see how my outputs are set up on 11R.
11REditor.jpg

The output from 11R can be increased if it's too low for recording.
11ROutputLevel.jpg

If that doesn't get it loud enough for a final mix, you can play with the volume controls to the left of the graphic representation of the clip on playback, so you can match the levels of the original backing track with your recording.
AudacityLevels.jpg

Also, I'm using version 2.0.0 (Unicode) of Audacity.

I hope this helps.