Ego check time!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Ok, so as many of you know, I do my solo gig a lot. usually once a week but, like next week, sometimes 4 nights.
I'm NEVER really happy with my show, but that's just my insecurities. People always make it a point to come up and tell me how much they enjoy my show.

Well, in the last two weeks I've played two new bars/restaurants. when I talked to them about booking another gig,
The first on said: I' just not feeling what you are putting down"

Then last night I was told: "Thanks. We are going to move on to other musicians you aren't the quality we are looking for. BTW, I again had people telling me how much they were enjoying the show and I made double what I usually made in tips. The funniest part is she overpaid me by 150%. ( plan to call her and return the extra money.)

I know there are still plenty of places that book me over and over and there are loads of new places to get booked, but it still stings some.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Hey Mike i guess first question is are you gigging solo for fun or for money.

It can be brutal trying to earn a living off music. Most talented guitar players dont succeed commercially.

If you are playing for fun then do the material you want to do. If its for cash income well then its a different game completely.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Perhaps the owners are looking for a more 'thirsty' crowd that tend to drink more and get a bit rowdier. You've been doing great otherwise so I wouldn't let these 2 places get you down. Keep on keeping on!

Reactions: EJG

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Keep in mind bars generally don’t care how well you play, they car about how big the audience is and how much they spend. Secondary to that they care about their image/vibe and what and how you play may not be what they are looking for. Don’t worry too much about it and move on.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
When I was studying for an MBA I had a course in "human resources". I learned that "bad" employees, or a "bad" work environment are generally caused by a mismatch between employee and culture. Usually the "bad" employee at company A can be a good employee at company B if the culture is a better fit. The same for a worker that thinks company A is a bad place to work compared to company B. A mismatch.

When I played in band we had a regular gig at a bar that brought in a modest crowd of regulars that liked our classic rock music. One day we lost the gig because the bar manager wanted a band that would bring in a younger crowd. Apparently classic rock fans did all their heavy drinking in their youth. They brought in a band that played contemporary songs and the crowds were definitely younger but not much larger than ours. Some of the band members were upset. I realized that we became a bad fit. It wasn't personal, it was a business decision. It's hard when you put yourself out there and don't quite fit the business model. It isn't personal (in most cases).

Eric

EJG

Central NJ
It always stings when someone criticizes your work after you've put a lot of yourself into it. Especially when there's a power mismatch and you just have to take it. All you can do is roll up your sleeves and get back to it. There's always a desire to "get even" and to show them they're wrong, but in reality that will probably never happen. While you're fretting over this, they've already forgotten all about you. You have to get back to it and forget about them. Easier said than done, but in a few days you'll feel better.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Perhaps the owners are looking for a more 'thirsty' crowd that tend to drink more and get a bit rowdier. You've been doing great otherwise so I wouldn't let these 2 places get you down. Keep on keeping on!

what he said

Also, maybe the person who does the booking could also be caring more about the music they like, not their patrons, in that case, its a rookie move on their part.

I was just talking to a guy I know, who does care about his patrons, offered to let us play, but only if we dont play the newer 80's guitr rock stuff I have been writing, he said his customers want those sloppy ballad stuff we do (ugggghhhhhhhhhh). But he is smart catering to his customer.

Blow it off and move on, you my be surprised and they call you back

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Also, maybe the person who does the booking could also be caring more about the music they like, not their patrons, in that case, its a rookie move on their part.
That was my thought as well. If I remember right, Mike, you play the kind of stuff that most folks want to hear when they're sitting in a bar, and you have a good variety of genres going too. Don't sweat it. You'll have those gigs replaced quickly enough.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Mike,
This sounds like my music career, many folks told me my songs where good an I should put out an album.
I procrastinated for years.
Finally, I take their advise and start releasing one album after the other, just about to release #4.
To date, I sold three, that's right, three albums to my adoring fans.
You're doing better then most.;)
At least people are willing to pay to hear you (y)

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Mike,
This sounds like my music career, many folks told me my songs where good an I should put out an album.
I procrastinated for years.
Finally, I take their advise and start releasing one album after the other, just about to release #4.
To date, I sold three, that's right, three albums to my adoring fans.
You're doing better then most.;)
At least people are willing to pay to hear you (y)
the first one is me, I need the links again for the other two

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I just listened to a bit of Dog Gone Blues and it scared me a little does that count? Also Lonely Shadows has dog references in it!

Woof woof woof!

58368543447__5EC503B5-398C-46AB-A6A1-C59E91179262.jpg