Easy Way To Record

ChrisG

Blues Newbie
Hi. Anyone have a link to quick instruction on recording my BGU lessons. I have Studio One but have never used it. It came with my audio interface that I’ve also never used. I don’t want to be a sound engineer just want to learn how to bring Griff’s lesson tracks into the DAW and record my guitar with it. I have a blues Junior that I’ll just record via Mic if that’s possible. I’d then like to post them into the lesson area on the forum. Any tips...?

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Hi. Anyone have a link to quick instruction on recording my BGU lessons. I have Studio One but have never used it. It came with my audio interface that I’ve also never used. I don’t want to be a sound engineer just want to learn how to bring Griff’s lesson tracks into the DAW and record my guitar with it. I have a blues Junior that I’ll just record via Mic if that’s possible. I’d then like to post them into the lesson area on the forum. Any tips...?
I think you’re in luck! @PapaRaptor has been doing a whole video series on Studio One this year. Here’s the link to his videos: http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/studio-one-reference-list.30875/

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I have several "flavors" of recording software. Studio One will be my next pick.

What I like to do when using a new piece of recording software, is to first, learn the very basics. Things like how to:

1. Drop a backing recording on a track.

2. How to cut the track to the desired time interval. My backing track might be 5 minutes long (or longer), and I might only want 12 or 24 bars.

3. Record a solo.

4. Final mix.

Most of all, enjoy! :):cool:

Tom

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

The very simplest is to use your phones camera or voice recorder.
That way you just plug your guitar in to your amp, set your phone in front of you hit record start a backing track then start playing.

Beyond that you get into guitar interfaces & DAWs. not hard to learn, but one step more than just using your phone.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I bought a decent mic to get me going with Studio One 5 Prime. Why would one want an interface ? Advantages?

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I bought a decent mic to get me going with Studio One 5 Prime. Why would one want an interface ? Advantages?
Audio interface converts analog signal (mic or instrument, for example) to digital for the computer. I also converts back the other way if you're using it for playback and/or monitoring. But if you have a USB microphone, an A/D interface is built in to the mic and you don't need another one.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
The answer to this question depends a lot on what exactly you want to do as far as recording. As @dvs mentioned, a USB microphone has an interface (at least for recording) built in. An interface will also give you the ability to play back anything from your computer through an external device, ranging from a set of headphones to a massive audio system.

The advantages I see may not appeal to you at all.
I can record a dry guitar signal using an interface. That signal is free from any outside noise, such as lousy room acoustics, barking dogs (of which I have two), a relatively noisy HVAC system in my house and road noise from all the 4x4s in the area in need of new mufflers.

It also gives me the ability to take that dry guitar signal (essentially plugged into the DAW) and process it using the built-in modeling capabilities. In other words, I can take a complete guitar performance and "shop" all the different amplifiers and effects that are available through the various software and hardware I have at my disposal.

If you record your guitar using a microphone that sits in front of your amplifier, you are recording the entire signal chain of your guitar, any pedals, the amplifier and any internal effects along with anything else the microphone may pick up. That may or may not be important to you. There is no right answer.

Mr.Scary

The answer to this question depends a lot on what exactly you want to do as far as recording. As @dvs mentioned, a USB microphone has an interface (at least for recording) built in. An interface will also give you the ability to play back anything from your computer through an external device, ranging from a set of headphones to a massive audio system.

The advantages I see may not appeal to you at all.
I can record a dry guitar signal using an interface. That signal is free from any outside noise, such as lousy room acoustics, barking dogs (of which I have two), a relatively noisy HVAC system in my house and road noise from all the 4x4s in the area in need of new mufflers.

It also gives me the ability to take that dry guitar signal (essentially plugged into the DAW) and process it using the built-in modeling capabilities. In other words, I can take a complete guitar performance and "shop" all the different amplifiers and effects that are available through the various software and hardware I have at my disposal.

If you record your guitar using a microphone that sits in front of your amplifier, you are recording the entire signal chain of your guitar, any pedals, the amplifier and any internal effects along with anything else the microphone may pick up. That may or may not be important to you. There is no right answer.

Thx. This was kinda my train of thought so I think I'll wait a little while to get better with the software. My new mic ( Blue Ice I believe) is USB..I record with amp mic'd and listen through headphones on PC so no latency because I can still hear my amp while headphones are on.

Elwood

Blues
Thx. This was kinda my train of thought so I think I'll wait a little while to get better with the software. My new mic ( Blue Ice I believe) is USB..I record with amp mic'd and listen through headphones on PC so no latency because I can still hear my amp while headphones are on.
You will know when and if you want/need more. I started off with a Blue Ice, and then Moto and Papa (mainly) gently helped me to understand (I think I understand) the interface was going to become part of my setup. There is just so much more you can do with the standard setup (a DAW and an interface). As a side note: the idea of getting an interface to play for the computer sounded like dogdoo to me, you're best off to not waste time fighting it, you'll see. :)
That interface is just a fancy sound card for your computer that does mic/instrument input tasks well.
Good news is that blue Ice came with a nifty little stand and a nice shielded cable, those are useful going forward if you chose to.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

You will know when and if you want/need more. I started off with a Blue Ice, and then Moto and Papa (mainly) gently helped me to understand (I think I understand) the interface was going to become part of my setup. There is just so much more you can do with the standard setup (a DAW and an interface). As a side note: the idea of getting an interface to play for the computer sounded like dogdoo to me, you're best off to not waste time fighting it, you'll see. :)
That interface is just a fancy sound card for your computer that does mic/instrument input tasks well.
Good news is that blue Ice came with a nifty little stand and a nice shielded cable, those are useful going forward if you chose to.:thumbup:
Can I run my mustang lll usb directly into studio one and record just vocals with a mic

Elwood

Blues
That could be tricky. Even though I have a SuperChamp II with usb out, I just use my usb for the FUSE interface. I don't know what you are getting out of that usb (seems like @artyman uses his usb, he might know.
The tricky part would be getting S1 to accept more than one input source (assuming you want to record your guitar and mic together). I defer to wiser minds for this.

The more you want to do, like guitar and mic simultaneously, the more sense it will make to start learning about interfaces while you think of what you might want to try to do. You can take your first estimate of what you want to do and double it right away, as soon as you learn to do a little bit...the hook is set!

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Are you looking to record your guitar and vocals at the same time? If so, that may be possible by using ASIO4ALL USB audio driver and much tweaking. Don't know what computer gear you have or what your techno-nerd background is, but all of that will definitely come into play. In my experience, getting it to work at all may be difficult and frustrating, results may be disappointing and low-latency recording and monitoring will certainly not be part of it.

If you're looking to record the two separately, recording one track at a time, yeah that should work fine.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Can I run my mustang lll usb directly into studio one and record just vocals with a mic
If you already have the drivers, it's possible you can make it work. However, when I first saw your question, I ran down to my utility shed and got my Mustang I out of mothballs (still in its original carton) and brought it up to the house to test with. I don't have the drivers for it and Fender has orphaned the original Mustang line. I tried several links from a few Google searches and came up empty. You may be committed enough to the concept of finding and testing, but Fender hasn't done its customers any favors with support for the line. As @dvs mentioned, you might be able to make it work with ASIO4All, but my previous experiences with that "one size fits all" driver left a lot to be desired.

I will defer further comments to users who have more experience with the Mustang amplifier line than I have.

Mr.Scary

As i said before I guess i'm good with a mic right now and somewhere down the line an interface. It is pretty quiet in my guitar room unless laundry is being done (above me)

artyman

Fareham UK
Plugging your Mustang III into the PC's USB will bring it up in Audacity which needs to be set to MME, Oh and plug the Mustang in and turn it on first, else Audacity doesn't see it. I then just drop the file of the MP3 backing track into it, create a new Stereo Track and make sure that's active, and hit record. Audacity will play the track for you to accompany with your blistering solo.

Your settings will need to be set to correct for latency, this is found under Edit / Preferences / Devices, mine is set at -135ms

After you stop recording Audacity will make the latency correction so when you play back it will sync with the Backing Track, assuming your playing is in time (Griff says something about counting I think :D ). As regards recording vocals the only way I could do it is to connect my mic to the Mustang and then record on a third track as I don't have a dual USB interface like a Focusrite or similar. I have to confess I've never recorded a vocal this way so perhaps I should give it a try.

I hope this helps