Duane Allman's "Layla" Les Paul Sells for $1.25 Million

Mark from Murrieta

Blues Junior
The guitar played an integral role in the early Allman Brothers sound.

Duane Allman's 1957 Gibson Les Paul, which he used to record "Layla" with Eric Clapton and the first two Allman Brothers Band albums, has reportedly been sold for $1.25 million.

The guitar played an integral role in the early Allman Brothers sound, and can be heard extensively on the original, studio versions of songs like "Whipping Post," "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" and "Midnight Rider." Most famously, the Les Paul was also Allman's main guitar for the sessions that produced Derek and the Dominos' Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

The guitar had been on display at the Allman Brothers Band Museum in Macon, Georgia, and has been played in the intervening years by six-string legends such as Billy Gibbons, Derek Trucks and Vince Gill.

Since Allman traded the guitar to the Stone Balloon's Rick Stine for a 1959 cherry sunburst Les Paul, it has changed hands three times and been refinished twice.

The sale comes just weeks after Allman's At Fillmore East Gibson SG was sold for $591,000, immediately making it one of the 20 most valuable guitars ever sold.

les paul_cr.jpg

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
All I can say is wow and wow again! I wonder if the people that bought either one of those guitars even plays?

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
If I remember correctly, it doesn’t even have the original pickups.

Makes you wonder what the Beano Burst would fetch if ever recovered and authenticated.