Do I need work done on my guitar or?

Robb H

Blues Newbie
I have a Gibson Les Paul Special vintage 1980 or 2000. It has Seymore Duncan pups that were in it when I bought it (unk model). It is well worn. I have been playing it through different amps, i.e. a Blackstar Fly 3, a Peavey Vypyr 3 or a small 15 watt Fender. I recently raised the pups to get a little more sustain as they were very low.

I just got a new Spark amp and now I am getting a lot of buzz when using that amp. I lowered the pups considerably but still buzz. If I touch the high e string, or even an adjustment screw, the buzz goes away or is substantially reduced. I plugged a couple other guitars into the Spark and they don't buzz. One is a cheap Fender that the pups are pretty low. The other is a 'boutique' strat that I set the pups the same as the Gibson.

I'm wondering if I might have a loose connection in the Gibson or where to turn from here. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Robb

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
First, raising the pickups increases output but reduces sustain. If you get them too close the magnets will deaden vibrations. If you want more output use a boost pedal.

Second, I agree with the above. It sounds like you have a ground issue.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Not a loss of ground issue, but a lack of shielding issue.

Does it only buzz with that one amp? If so, then you didn't break it.

If you are careful not to touch any metal on the guitar and just move it away from your body, does the buzz go away?

If so, then the guitar probably needs shielding added, or perhaps the shielding is no longer connected to the return, or shield wire. A lot of the vintage gear had no internal shielding.

A lot of these small "toy" amps are noisy as heck. No expense was spent on making them quiet. It is probably sending out noise that the unshielded LP is picking up.

I got a new monitor in my guitar lounge, and I had to go and add shielding to several of my guitars because of the increased noise. Before I upgraded the monitor it wasn't a problem.

Robb H

Blues Newbie
Not a loss of ground issue, but a lack of shielding issue.

Does it only buzz with that one amp? If so, then you didn't break it.

If you are careful not to touch any metal on the guitar and just move it away from your body, does the buzz go away?

If so, then the guitar probably needs shielding added, or perhaps the shielding is no longer connected to the return, or shield wire. A lot of the vintage gear had no internal shielding.

A lot of these small "toy" amps are noisy as heck. No expense was spent on making them quiet. It is probably sending out noise that the unshielded LP is picking up.

I got a new monitor in my guitar lounge, and I had to go and add shielding to several of my guitars because of the increased noise. Before I upgraded the monitor it wasn't a problem.
Thanks. I have another (cheaper) guitar hooked to that amp now - no noise. I have and appt with a guy that can fix it. I'll advise. I was just worried that I got a faulty amp or something.

Robb H

Blues Newbie
Can you please post the results of problem? Could be helpful here if others come across this. Thanks

Well I had my LP worked up a bit. The first guy I took it to noticed some abnormalities in the wiring but didn't have the proper diagrams. So I took it to another guy that plays well, works on guitars and amps, and has a recording studio as well as a cool collection of guitars. Anyway, he also has one of these Spark amps. He rewired my LP and reduced the capacitor size. It played nicely on his amps. I get it home and it still buzzes, even on clean. So I hooked up my other guitars and they also buzz on the spark and the peavey. Not as much on the peavey. I don't get it. I'm gonna try contacting positive grid. Hmm. He did adjust the pup height and did say that they were "rock" pups.

I checked out the vids on another thread on desktop amps, i.e. the Yamaha THR. No buzzing on those vids.