dirty shuffle blues in Em

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Pretty cool there, CaptainM.  Nice bit you have there starting @ 04:42!
Hey RR,
I notice lots of references to time.
When these come up for me it's in Quick Time and no time is displayed.
Can I select a different program to open these in Drop Box. What do you use?
Heck, I dunno, CaptainM ... as far as I know it's just Windows Media Player.  But I don't see the time unless I expand the pop-up to full screen.

KevinS

Blues Newbie
Thanks Captain, Vashondan

A little grit, a little edge........might just be seepin' into my playing a little bit now. Cool. I like it.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Fantastic stuff all the way through.
Nobody likes to follow a player like Kevin, but I'll take a swing anyway - I have no shame :)
Recording light on.
Tom

This track is too long for my little Tascam recorder to handle - not enough internal memory to go through the mixdown and mastering cycle when it has to buffer everything up. I guess I should go back to using the PC for recording, but I just prefer using an actual recorder.
Anyway, until I can get things sorted out, I won't hold up the show for someone else to finish this off.
Tom

KevinS

Blues Newbie
Thanks RR

And right back at you.  Been listening to the G jam a lot and your opening solo is spot on.
Smokin'.  Glad I finally jumped into the fire with you all.

KevinS

Blues Newbie
Stop that now OG.  We all heard your playing on the Wannabe Clapton's track.
No shame for anyone following anyone here.  Anyone that puts it out here for all to hear
is Right On in my book.

And OG, anymore nuggets you find like that Clapton track I can definitely get into.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Thanks for the kind words Kevin - I'm just a beginner.
See my modified post above re: my recorder issue.

Someone else will have to finish this one off.

Tom

KevinS

Blues Newbie
Sorry to hear that OG.  Guess you will have to just keep kickin' off the show for us before you run out of space.  Truly look forward to hearing your next posting.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I found a work around - will post it in a few minutes
Tom

Here it is.
I decided to try something a little different. I hardly ever hear stuff in the VJR that is directly stolen from BGU, so I decided to see if I could shoe horn one of the BGU lessons into a jam.
I didn't realize how much more difficult it is to play this particular piece so SLOWLY!! I'm so used to blasting it at full speed - it all changes when you slow it way down - doing all the little hammer ons and pull offs and slides slowly is a bugger - but it fit this jam ok I think. It's actually good practice I think to play stuff at different speeds than "normal".
There's just one slot left at the end so I didn't bother with making up a correctly formatted file name.
I hope the levels are ok - I just wound up feeding the audio from my recorder into the PC, so it may not the best quality.
Tom

https://db.tt/97FH0dUa

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Tom, that was GREAT.  I wouldn't call you a beginner at all ... you're well beyond that stage.  And very nice job of "shoehorning".  You are right, it's actually harder to play slow blues than faster stuff.  Slow blues is less forgiving.  A mistake sticks out like a sore thumb instead of being hidden in a flurry of fast notes, your finger and picking dynamics show a lot more, sustain becomes more important, all kinds of things.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I agree RR, and thanks for the compliment.
I also noticed this - there are some slow blues that were "composed" in such a way to actually be licks played fast, but in such a way that the techniques used fit the slow blues genre. Then there are pieces that were written to be played at a fast tempo, but when slowed down significantly, the techniques employed, or the speed at which they are played don't always transfer well, and result in a tendency to rush. I did this in several places in this recording - but I tried to end the phrase at the right time :)
I guess that learning these types of things is one of the huge benefits of playing around in the VJR! You have to actually put things to use in the context of a real jam, instead of just just sitting around noodling or practicing licks, and you figure out what works and what doesn't in the process.
And those damn recorders - they are always adding in bad notes and stuff that you didn't play.
It's also a good lesson to know that you can take stuff right out the BGU course and trot it out at the local jam.
Fun stuff.
Tom

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Tom, one of the biggest advantages the VJR has to offer is that it makes you develop a "feel" ... or the ability just feel the beat and go with it and not rely so much on counting.  A direct quote from Griff in one of his blogs is "The goal of counting is to not have to count any more".  There are those who will argue to the death that counting is essential and that just "feeling" the beat is impossible.  They are wrong, of course, else Griff never would have said that.  It is in my by-line because it's so darned important!  Anyways, playing in the VJR brings that ability (or lack of it) front and center, and it will help you imensely in developing it. 

I would say that almost any blues solo will work with almost any blues piece.  If it doesn't, it's just your inability to adjust it's timing to the beat/feel of the piece.  Pretty much.

One of the hardest feels to get under your belt is funk.  Because it's so "infested" with syncopation and emphasis on back-beats and such.  A lot of blues solos just will not work over some blues/funk jam tracks.

KevinS

Blues Newbie
Great job Tom.  Well played.   Nothing beginner sounding about it at all.
And ditto to what you And RR were talking about.  Slow is hard.  Everything about it.
And you're right Tom, recording in the VJR does tend to get one out of noodling mode.  I know it does for me.  At this point for me each jam requires some forethought and planning to play something I like.
It's definitely not 100% improvisatory. But recording what I finally end up with is really starting to
lock in some of the moves and slowly learn some new ones.  Now I'm just trying to build up that library
of "go to" ideas so I don't always fall into the same patterns and have more variety to "improvise" off of.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Thanks Kevin and Dan,
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that needs to "plan ahead"!
Some time back I realized that I really needed to improve the consistency of my mechanics, and did so at the expense of building vocabulary. If you can't pronounce the words and sentences, what good are they?
I'm still working on improving technique, but also spending some time now building vocabulary, and trying to figure out how to string it together so it makes sense. I need to spend a lot more time with jam tracks now.
As far as being a beginner, I played a bit when I was young, but had no instruction or direction. Now that I'm retired, and partially recovered from a bad hand injury, I got back into it and can spend more time at it. So I feel like I'm starting over, and when I see and hear the endless parade of great players out there, I really do feel like a beginner!
You've got some great licks in your stuff, and executed very smoothly! What are your sources of inspiration? I'm sure everyone would like to know what your background is if you are willing to share. Equipment too!
Tom

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Pretty cool there, CaptainM.  Nice bit you have there starting @ 04:42!
Hey RR,
I notice lots of references to time.
When these come up for me it's in Quick Time and no time is displayed.
Can I select a different program to open these in Drop Box. What do you use?
Heck, I dunno, CaptainM ... as far as I know it's just Windows Media Player.  But I don't see the time unless I expand the pop-up to full screen.

After I installed the latest greatest version of Audacity The time reference boxes for selecting places in the track are in separate boxes on the bottom left of screen . With all the reference to time it's a simple way to see exact location . Load track into audacity and anywhere you click the time is shown in Hrs, mins, .ooo seconds .

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thanks Gman,
I don't use Audacity.
I can see time reference in my DAW, but when I play something from DropBox, it defaults to QuickTime player and there's no time line.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thanks again RR,
Looks like Windows Media Player.
I don't know why, but when I play something from DropBox it defaults to QuickTime Player...no time there.
I'm thinking maybe an update from ITunes slammed me into that [smiley=angry.gif] not sure