Deluxe Lone Star or Fat Strat?

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
Is there a difference between a 2000 "Fat Stat" with Texas Special pickups and a 2000 Lone Star? I ask because I went to buy some acoustic strings the other day and in the shop the had a used Fender strat with Texas Specials at neck and middle and humbucker bridge. I played around with it a bit unplugged and liked the feel a lot, but didn't have time to take it into the amp room and test it out. The shop owner described it as a Deluxe Lone Star but his son said it was an American Fat Strat. Are these actually the same animal?
Anyway this was on Saturday morning and when I called down yesterday to ask what particular humbucker was in the bridge I was told it had sold a few hours after I left. $850, not sure if that is a good price or not.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
A 'Fat Strat' refers to any Strat with HSS configuration.
Some of the early LoneStars used a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker in the bridge and Texas Special single coils. Later versions used a Fender built humbucker. I'm not sure what the "Deluxe' implies on that model.

Danno

Blues Newbie
A 'Fat Strat' refers to any Strat with HSS configuration.
Some of the early LoneStars used a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker in the bridge and Texas Special single coils. Later versions used a Fender built humbucker. I'm not sure what the "Deluxe' implies on that model.
I have one of those early Lone Stars with Texas Specials and the Pearly Gates humbucker. They were made in the US and as I recall it was around $800 when the American Standard went for about $550 or so. Also I'm pretty sure later on they moved the production to Mexico. The only other thing about it that obviously differed from the Standard was the pearl pickguard. All in all it's a really nice guitar though the neck is a bit thin by today's standards.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I have one of those early Lone Stars with Texas Specials and the Pearly Gates humbucker. They were made in the US and as I recall it was around $800 when the American Standard went for about $550 or so. Also I'm pretty sure later on they moved the production to Mexico. The only other thing about it that obviously differed from the Standard was the pearl pickguard. All in all it's a really nice guitar though the neck is a bit thin by today's standards.
Mine was my number one the years I was gigging, still love it, but the Gibson Firebird is moving in on it