Delhia (Peidmont Blues: Blind Willie McTell cover)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
https://soundcloud.com/blackcoffeeblues/mono-082wav

Unlike Delta Blues or country blues Peidmont Blues originated on south east coast from about Virginia to Georgia it is kind of in between Folk and Blues. This song was written around the 1st decade of the 20th century.
Though Blind Willie was the first to record it it is highly unlikely that he wrote it----it"s really deemed "Traditional
music" that is- no one knows for sure who wrote them they are just songs passed down through the years.
The 1st time I heard it David Bromberg did it on his 1st album named "David Bromberg" a few years latter Bob Dylan "MURDER IT" on a album..(By the way if you think my version is bad give his a listen). I wanted to put a harp with this but didn't have a "D" harp playable....This will probably be the last out of the old ZOOM R-24.
I hit a few bad notes in it---OH WELL. It is different. I have been doing this song since 1972. I hope you enjoy "THE PEIDMONT BLUES).---P.S. I would love to hear one of you harp players to run a Echo Harp overlay on this and post it.----This song is begging for a harp player. It is real simple "D-G-A" all the way through. Come on and give it a try somebody....(please)

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I love that, Dave. You have such an expressive voice and a manner about your singing. Thank you for posting!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I love that, Dave. You have such an expressive voice and a manner about your singing. Thank you for posting!
Thanks a lot Papa; I fell for that song the 1st time I heard---took me about 2 weeks to just learn the words--I kept picking up the needle on my record player and writing down one line then try to find where I left off, then put it down again.(scratch-scratch-scratch) by the time I got done with it that song was totally unplayable. North Carolina was part of the Peidmont Blues area but most of it was centered near the larger towns on the coast---it eventually bled into Fl-Tenn-West Virginia. There is a really cool Blind Willie McTell (Original version) on google. I cut out about 3 verses of it trying not to bore people. But I am glad you like it. There is a Guitar sight on the Beast that gives "Peidmont Blues guitar picking---lessons I am putting some time into everyday--I am on lesson one right now and the guy says lesson one is 80% of it.. Later..

Elwood

Blues
Very nice! You carried it well through the years. Ha! I forgot how learning tunes could be hazardous to your records, usually the ones you liked :(

Great job!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Very well done , Dave.
Nice and simple, home town feel.
I can imagine sit'n on the porch or out in the shed listening to you(y)
You kissed the 24 goodbye with a good one(y)

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Enjoyed that Dave. The wife enjoyed it as well(y). As Moto says, that was a worthy send off for the 24. Very well done. (y)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Thanks guys---I wasn't sure if it would float or not. I really like doing that kind of stuff. It is simple, says what it's got to say with no frills. David Bromberg does the best version of it. I copied his version. If you get a chance you should give his "Live Version" a listen. His is awesome.(he doesn't have to many songs that I don't like). But it still needs a harp bad. Later