December Fix-It

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
@MikeS Smooth Intro analysis?

If you have time I'd like to talk about the intro to Smooth (Rob Thomas/Santana).

I tried to identify the scales and I see a lot of box two / box one but there are a few notes that don't really fit (#7 ???) and I guess a 6 (that you've talked about).
Am I misreading the scale? Is it a Mode???
Clearly I'm confused.

Intro:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/osnbr6selgmwykd/Smooth Intro.mp3?dl=0

david moon

Attempting the Blues
@MikeS Smooth Intro analysis?

If you have time I'd like to talk about the intro to Smooth (Rob Thomas/Santana).

I tried to identify the scales and I see a lot of box two / box one but there are a few notes that don't really fit (#7 ???) and I guess a 6 (that you've talked about).
Am I misreading the scale? Is it a Mode???
Clearly I'm confused.

Intro:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/osnbr6selgmwykd/Smooth Intro.mp3?dl=0
In that clip I don't hear anything that jumps out as not a standard "bluesy" sound.

A tab that I found gives the opening as Am F E, which doesn't fit the standard harmony rule. But the F passes really quickly with no melody notes over it.

Not sure what would be a #7, Or do you mean a not-flatted 7?

That's all I got.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
In that clip I don't hear anything that jumps out as not a standard "bluesy" sound.

A tab that I found gives the opening as Am F E, which doesn't fit the standard harmony rule. But the F passes really quickly with no melody notes over it.

Not sure what would be a #7, Or do you mean a not-flatted 7?

That's all I got.

Yes I meant 7. IT seems to be what give it a latin flavor.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Haven't listened to the intro yet, but:

Am F E = i bVI V in A Minor

Calls for the A Harmonic minor over the E, i.e raised 3rd of the chord (G#) is raised 7 of the Harmonic minor scale.

E G B ----->E G# B

A B C D E F G -----> A B C D E F G#

In general making the v chord of a minor progression a Major V chord calls for the Harmonic minor over the V.

Maybe check out Solo #1, "Latin Rock Feel", in Griff's "The Harmonic Minor Scale" course. :sneaky:

Last edited:

MarcV

Blues Junior
OK, here's what I'm hearing after actually listening to the intro, Am (F) E7.

A Harmonic minor.

Essentially adding the 2 (B) and the 7 (G#) of the Harmonic minor to the A minor pentatonic in good ol' box 1.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/epxguepqjj5bcnx/HM.mp4?dl=0
Paleo. This is awesome video and explanation thanks.:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:
I think that through sheer dumb luck I was adding the 2 and the 6 to pentatonic scale and imagining I was getting Santana type sound.
2 and 7 makes much more sense. I think you even mentioned in some other thread that 6 is just wrong.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I think you even mentioned in some other thread that 6 is just wrong.
It may have come up in the VJR.

Just about every minor progression that gets posted has a Major V chord "requiring" the 7 of the Harmonic minor, rather than the b7 of the Minor pentatonic.

The b6 of the Natural minor also works in a minor progression.

So you'd be adding the 2 and b6 to the minor pentatonic and the 7 over the V or V7 chord.

In a "Major" Blues the 6 will come up if you play a Dorian scale or Griff's "Pentatonic 6" scale, which adds a "Major" flavor to a minor sound. :)

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
@MikeS if you check out the Latin flavored solo example in the Harmonic Minor Scale course you'll find it fits this type of thing very well. As @Paleo said, it's going to be some minor pentatonic, potentially some A Aeolian (natural minor) and then A Harmonic Minor over that E7 chord.

Always remember, 7th chord in minor key = Harmonic Minor Scale.

Similarly - Latin tune (probably) = Harmonic Minor Scale (it's not an absolute, but in my experience it might as well be.)

But then I think of Oye Como Va which is just a big dorian vamp... so I don't know what I'm saying.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
@MikeS if you check out the Latin flavored solo example in the Harmonic Minor Scale course you'll find it fits this type of thing very well. As @Paleo said, it's going to be some minor pentatonic, potentially some A Aeolian (natural minor) and then A Harmonic Minor over that E7 chord.

Always remember, 7th chord in minor key = Harmonic Minor Scale.

Similarly - Latin tune (probably) = Harmonic Minor Scale (it's not an absolute, but in my experience it might as well be.)

But then I think of Oye Como Va which is just a big dorian vamp... so I don't know what I'm saying.

LOL!
Thanks I love the little rules of thumb... When I can remember them.