Dear Mr. Fantasy (sort of) -Complete

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I've been messing around learning this song with my Helix and looper today and decided I may as well try and make a jam track out of the chord progressions. This is by no means a direct copy of the songs structure but more of a "loosely based on" version made for soloing over. There are two parts. The A - G - D progression (where the singing would normally be) that I played A minor pentatonic over and the F# minor --> A x3 / F# minor --> E7 x1 that I played A major pentatonic over. I didn't really listed too closely to the Traffic version so I'm not sure what they played but this seemed to sound ok to my ears. Hopefully the overall mix is alright. I have trouble trying to get all of the tracked evened out volume wise. Seemed a little bit muddy to me so if any of you have any comments on that part of the track, I am open to suggestions. I took the first 2:33.

My wife and I are flying down to Florida Sunday so no more guitar for the next week, but also no more snow either:Beer::Beer::Beer:.

Dear Mr. Zeppelin
Way to kick off TZ!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I don't want to risk getting into theory, but I've been wanting to point out that the progression (A-G-D-A) is the same progression in "Sympathy For The Devil" (E-D-A-E) that some of us discussed a little while ago.

And if you went back and forth from the E to the A a couple of times and left out the F#m and G in the "2nd part" you'd also have the refrain in "Sympathy" (B to E).

So they are essentially the same song. (Traffic was first.)

You could arrange a nice little mash-up of the two.

Mr. Fantasy introduces himself to the devil.:confused:

And throw in a bit of "Sweet Home Alabama" for good measure.

Thanks for the track, Ted.

Last edited:

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
I finally got a chance to listen to everyone’s contributions all the way through. Nice job everyone, even you Kevin with that “magnetic F*@&ing thing”. I do think that this track set a record for pig, hog and bacon references though. Also, I do apologize for the abrupt ending. I forgot all about doing a formal ending or at least a fade out until after I had posted the track.

The end snuck up on me but no worries, I just stuck an A chord there and all is good!

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
I don't want to risk getting into theory, but I've been wanting to point out that the progression (A-G-D-A) is the same progression in "Sympathy For The Devil" (E-D-A-E) that some of us discussed a little while ago.

Is is dangerous to discuss theory here? I figured the first part was A mixo and also works with A minor blues (don’t ask me to explain why!). The second piece I think was F# minor/A major (same notes) so the A major pentatonic worked over it, and I think would really work over both parts if you wanted.

This stuff is pushing the limits of my knowledge and beyond. I will have to search for your Sympathy discussion to see what IEM’s of wisdom were revealed.

Thanks to Ted for an interesting track, and great job everyone!

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I just came back to put a mind bending, blisteringly fast and totally AWSOME finish to this, but it was all eaten up.:whistle: Ah well. Your loss.:D:D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That was a great listen guys. Some pretty cool stuff going on. I couldn't get it together on this for some reason.:confused::confused: Maybe next time.:)

Cool track TZ.(y)

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I figured the first part was A mixo and also works with A minor blues (don’t ask me to explain why!). The second piece I think was F# minor/A major (same notes) so the A major pentatonic worked over it

I can’t explain why either other than the A minor blues / A major blues sounded right to my ears...well, I except the parts that I fumbled through or made some wonky out of key bends. Those were my jazz improv parts.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
or made some wonky out of key bends. Those were my jazz improv parts.

[sarcasm]Sometimes I find the 12 notes of Western music too limiting so I like to bend to some of the dozens of notes found in between the ones with frets.[/sarcasm]

I listened to several versions of the song and most seem to be soloing in A minor blues. Generally there is no solo over the F# minor piece, a couple had partial chords or arpeggio type fills, but Clapton was the one exception in the Crossroads performance. In the original, that section is just a bridge and could be ignored, but your backing track repeated it frequently enough to make us have to deal with it. A nice little twist!

Thanks again for the track!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I probably shouldn't have brought it up, but not being familiar with "Dear Mr. Fantasy", I found it interesting that I started singing "Please allow me to introduce myself" when learning the progression.

Although not quite at such a frenetic tempo.