Crossroads in G## (aka A) - collaboration

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
That was great!  I didn't know we were playing to a live audience.  Rancid, I really
enjoyed your playing with Annie's bass.  I tried it last night and wasn't happy with anything; so, I left he alone.  Well done everybody.  We should do this again.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Glad you liked it Ron.  For the final mix, I sped everything up about 5-6% for a little more energy, ran a compressor on the whole thing to bring some of the quieter stuff forward and even out the volume differences a bit, threw in a tiny bit of room reverb for that live feel and did a bass cut on Annie's bass just to try to bring it a bit more in line with the regular bass player's volume while still having a bass solo feel.  Oh, I gave everything a treble boost just because I wanted the drums to sound a little snappier and that seemed to accomplish it.

What tune would you "guys" like to try next?  :-/  It only takes a few minutes to cook up a backing track.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Yes. If there is any part you don't know how to do, ask and I'll tell you how.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Yes. [glow=yellow,2,300]If there is any part you don't know how to do, ask and I'll tell you how[/glow].

Thanks Marv...I might do that.  But, I will finally watch a more advanced tutorial
or two first.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, hmm.  I didn't care much for the final mix.  Somehow the detail of the rhythm is just all mush to me, the reverb over everything sounds like static ... or if not the reverb, something is making a hissy, staticy noise throughout.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
With all the different playing styles and volume levels, that couldn't have been easy.
Let's do another...maybe a slow blues like Stormy Monday might bring some new players
in.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Well, hmm.  I didn't care much for the final mix.  Somehow the detail of the rhythm is just all mush to me, the reverb over everything sounds like static ... or if not the reverb, something is making a hissy, staticy noise throughout.

Most likely the audience noise running non-stop in the background.  If I saved it, I will post a version without it too.  We did get an awful lot of rhythm going behind this one, probably too much of people playing different things.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Wow I hadn't looked in VJR in a while, you guys are doing some good stuff here. I think I'll try to spend a little more time here now that the weather is turning and I'll be spending more time indoors.

Marv you have mad skillz with Audacity, how do you isolate parts to re-pan or alter them? you have a single file, not multiple tracks to work with don't you?

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Yes, come back in a join in the fun!

In a way I have multiple tracks because we have the various generations.  If I go back to previous a generation, I can remove a part with cut and paste.  If I want to pan a part, I can duplicate the track and reverse the left and right channels.  With the original and the flipped track combined, everything is centered.  From there, I can slide things around a little bit.  It's not perfect and certainly not as clean as working with the original tracks and a single project file, but it serves the purpose down here.

Dropbox does let us share a folder, so a project originator could share a single Dropbox project and everyone could work with it in Dropbox from their own computers.  But all participants would have to use Audacity and Dropbox.  We may do a few like that, but it's better to have as many players as possible, even if the quality of the final product suffers.  It's all for fun anyway.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
it's better to have as many players as possible, even if the quality of the final product suffers.  It's all for fun anyway.

Agreed, the last thing we want is for people not to join in because of "technical" reasons.