Counting

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Same here...I have always been a 'tap my foot' player so when I try to count out loud it adds a whole new level of concentration that my tiny little brain struggles with...:confused::cool:

Nuts, I thought I was being unique LOL. I have been working on counting with the first licks, not too bad. Tried one or measures of Sitting Easy Blues, quite a different story.

ScottMFL

Blues Newbie
Same here...I have always been a 'tap my foot' player so when I try to count out loud it adds a whole new level of concentration that my tiny little brain struggles with...:confused::cool:

Same. I found that it’s easier to keep the beat with my foot than to verbalize a count. This is how I was taught when I played trumpet and I suppose old habits die hard.

I’m sure, however, that deep in the mind somewhere is a voice going one and uh two.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Same. I found that it’s easier to keep the beat with my foot than to verbalize a count. This is how I was taught when I played trumpet and I suppose old habits die hard.

I’m sure, however, that deep in the mind somewhere is a voice going one and uh two.

In defense of how you were originally taught, it is really hard to count out loud while playing trumpet. If can begin doing counting out loud while playng guitar, it will make it infinitely easier to learn new music. Otherwise, it is really difficult to figure out why something didn't sound right, especially when dealing with 1/16 notes where you can easily lose track.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
It might also be beneficial to count out the rhythm of a new piece of music before you even pick up your instrument.

ScottMFL

Blues Newbie
In defense of how you were originally taught, it is really hard to count out loud while playing trumpet. If can begin doing counting out loud while playng guitar, it will make it infinitely easier to learn new music. Otherwise, it is really difficult to figure out why something didn't sound right, especially when dealing with 1/16 notes where you can easily lose track.

Hard to respond without stating the obvious - that a mouthpiece pressed to the lips requires other methods. Such as getting the beat internalized before starting to play. Sort of like visualizing hitting a drum pad on the beat.

Most of my inaccuracies are not caused by missing the beat. It’s from missing the right note, hitting too many strings, or late on quickening chord changes. I did count out loud on one part of the strumming exercises but no longer feel the need to do so.

To quote John Nemeth: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

BTW: “Too many Dirty Dishes” is one of my favorites. Pots and pans everywhere.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Counting out loud is a means to an end, not the end in itself.

The only time I have ever counted out loud was to demonstrate counting out loud.o_O

Last edited:

ScottMFL

Blues Newbie
You might also be beneficial to count out the rhythm of a new piece of music before you ever pick up your instrument.

Yes, agree 1000% percent, and that is exactly what my approach is.

I’m wrapping up learning the C7 and G7 chords and last night stared prepping for Muddy A Blues. Identified the trouble spot and played it (the lesson, not the guitar) a few times until I could hum along. Sure humming is another form of counting but my goal is always to get the beat as second nature. Once I feel that I can keep time then I’m ready to learn how to play the music.

I’m not talented enough to learn two things at once so I’m dividing and conquering.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
It would also be quite difficult to count out loud while you're singing.

And it would be interesting to go to the symphony and hear everybody in the orchestra counting out loud during a performance.

Last edited: