Confused ?

L

Lame_Pinkey

Well don't know if confused is the right word but ...
I'm playing the 1st solo in SWS last nightbut I keep slipping into the 4 note solo.Some of the licks just lend themselves to moving directly into the 4 note solo.
In the end I didn't know which one I was playing, was fun though.
Anyone else finding this to be the case ?

LP

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Maybe a little, but I have not worked on the original for a while.  However, when I was playing around with different backing tracks and improvising with the 4 notes, I was struggling to remember the sequence of hammer-ons/pull offs that I used to mess up every time in the original

I

IrishRover

I think one of the problems we all have is that we try so hard to duplicate exactly what is in the lesson instead of 'letting it flow'.  Maybe there is a method to the similarities in the riffs and solo's.  Remember that many of us are taking the courses so we can feel comfortable improvising, so why try to be a human recorder just parroting back the notes from the lesson?  It's possible that what you are experiencing is the beginning of the next level of playing for both of you.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I never learned the original 4 note solo (I need t go back and do that one of these days), but in BGU I find that Solo 3 and Solo 5 are so much alike (despite the fact that they are in different keys) that I can no longer play Solo3 I almost always slip into Solo 5.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
You might not realize it, but that's the whole idea. Congratulations, you're improvising! When you start randomly mixing in a few other solos you won't be able to tell where any of the licks came from... but you won't care.  :)

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
I think one of the problems we all have is that we try so hard to duplicate exactly what is in the lesson instead of 'letting it flow'. .

That's my feeling.  And I'm also one of those "close enough for me" type people in my playing.  Heck, even if I play along with the demo, I'm not going to match Griff.  He's got years of experience and a boatload more talent than I do.  So, my lesson solos and noodling isn't always as precise as some other peoples.  But, I think that the whole point is to learn the licks or reasonable facsimile and then make it your own anyway.  If you listen to the blues gods play, their solos aren't exactly the same from one performance to the next either.  But, the concept is there. 

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yeah, I think we all do that. As long as you aren't simplifying it and really trying to hit the notes and  timing. Particularly when it comes to those triplets. You just gotta learn to play them.

G

Garymcm

Been away in the sticks so havent been around much or played with teh tele.
last night was stuffing around with solo 3, where the notes around the 10th frett on the B string and then found I was noodling solo 2 bits around it ( the bits around the same note) mainly occured because I couldnt remember what I was doing and was just letting my fingers wander. Scarey really as it sounded ok and not something I had heard before. This stuff is eventaully getting though my thick skull and damaged fingers.
Cheers
Gary