Classical (Not Classic) Blues

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
When I'm doing barn chores, we always have the stereo (yes, I put a sound system in the barn) tuned to either a local classical station or an independent classic rock station. The stereo runs 24/7 and we always have the classical station on overnight. It keeps the horses calm and masks most of the road noise close to the barn.

Today while doing barn chores, I heard a classical piece I've never heard before, so I listened intently to hear what was said about it. It's called Afro-American Symphony No.1, written by William Grant Still (in the 1930's I think). I've never heard a piece of classical music start around a 12 bar blues progression, but this one does.

I'll listen to this more than once.
https://youtu.be/8hzFcm6HCeI

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
paparaptor
Thinks for sharing way cool, William Grant Still (May 11, 1895 – December 3, 1978) was an American composer of more than 150 works, including five symphonies and eight operas. Often referred to as "the Dean" of African-American composers, Still was the first American composer to have an opera produced by the New York City Opera.
leftymike

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
When I'm doing barn chores, we always have the stereo (yes, I put a sound system in the barn) tuned to either a local classical station or an independent classic rock station. The stereo runs 24/7 and we always have the classical station on overnight. It keeps the horses calm and masks most of the road noise close to the barn.

Today while doing barn chores, I heard a classical piece I've never heard before, so I listened intently to hear what was said about it. It's called Afro-American Symphony No.1, written by William Grant Still (in the 1930's I think). I've never heard a piece of classical music start around a 12 bar blues progression, but this one does.

I'll listen to this more than once.
https://youtu.be/8hzFcm6HCeI

I guess I really don't have a clue what the definition of Classical is (if it's the usage of an orchestra, then I guess this qualifies), but to me this is more in the Gershwin or Bernstein lane to me.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
That was really cool! Subtle but it came through nicely. I'm not familiar with Still; but, he is on
my radar now. Thx Papa.

dwparker

Bluesologist
That was really nice. I could immediately imagine that piece being played by a 1920's swing style jazz band. Thanks for sharing.