Amps Classic Jose Modded Marshall

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
This is a great video and story about an epic amp owned and used by Steve Vai back in the late '80s (before his signature Carvin's). This was modded by the same guy that did EVH's classic Plexi.

Great interviews with Dave Freidman and Steve Vai, as well as some killer playing from Pete.

This amp's tone is the sound of Rock that I grew up with!

https://youtu.be/TbRJeFYfwjU

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have one of Vai's original Carvin Legacy heads and 4 X 12. It is one VERY nice tube amp, the best tube amp I ever played. Clean it will make a Fender Twin want its mommy and dirty, it can be outragious. It has the best clean I have ever heard from a tube amp.

IMG_0667.JPG

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I had the great fortune of playing a Jose modded Plexi previously owned by Neil Schon (of Journey) one afternoon...

It was not modded for gain, so it wasn't the high gain type of sound, but it was A) the LOUDest amp I've ever heard in my life, B) one of the single most glorious sounding amps ever. It magically just gobbled up any dirt pedal you put in front of it and made it sound like part of the amp.

Sadly, at the time (the late 1990s) it seemed an outrageous price (much like the Dumble ODS in mint condition I could have bought for $11,000 but I thought that was also outrageous) and clearly I was wrong since I see them now going for well into 5 figures and beyond.

Anyone need investment advice? I'm clearly the guy to ask :ROFLMAO:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Anyone need investment advice? I'm clearly the guy to ask
You invested in US Griff, and that's waaaaaaaayyyyyyy more important.(y) Just think. If you'd purchased that amp, you more than likely wouldn't have been able to keep up the repayments!! The amp would have been repossessed, and you'd have been incarcerated and tumbled headfirst into a life of crime, or be married to the 6'4" 250lb gangster of a cell mate who took a 'shine';) to you!!:eek::eek::eek:

Now look where you are, a beautiful wife and family, a great career in music, and an extended family of thousands that you've 'home schooled' for over a decade, and who are eternally grateful for it.:)(y)(y)

Every cloud Griff, every cloud.:whistle::whistle: