Clapton torn down vs SWS

molson39

Blues Newbie
Any thoughts or comparisons?  I thought about getting bob m's course today, but then remembered SWS and was hoping for some input.

Thanks,

Tom

Spencer

Blues Newbie
I don't have the clapton course so I can't compare, but I can tell you that I have put a few months of work into the SWS course and it's GREAT. I learned the fretboard pretty quick, and was soloing and able to improv before I ever even learned box 1 of the pentatonic scale. Now that I'm learning the boxes through the soloing portion of BGU, I find myself using a lot of SWS tricks to really connect the fretboard. I'm not sure where you're at with soloing but SWS does jump up in degree of difficulty pretty quick, so if it seems to easy at first, just wait.
     So while I love getting into the BGU solos and learning things from that aspect, SWS is really another great way to look at the fretboard and will no doubt give you a few of the "aha" moments.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
You are talking about two very different things. I found that SWS immediately gave me something that I could use to solo.
Bob's course is a method for taking existing solos, breaking them apart and, reordering and reusing them. Both will be very good to know, but SWS will get you going right away, while with Bob's you will have to learn a solo, tear it apart and figure out how to make something of it.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
Glad to hear some thoughts on the Torn Down course. I grabbed a copy today. Hurry up mailman! 

zwantedone

Blues Newbie
Ordered mine today. I'm still working Bob's pentatonic power, as well as SWS, rhythm section of BGU,and Griff's technique mastery. enough, for sure. I'll check it out and set it aside until I'm ready for it.........Will

mpaq

Canfield, Ontario, Canada
Glad to hear some thoughts on the Torn Down course. I grabbed a copy today. Hurry up mailman! 

Jon you will like this course. I just got it a few days ago. My biggest problem with learning solos is my memory. If i improvise something myself, its intuitive but if I try to copy something i can never remember which part comes next until i play it about a hundred times. When i got this course, i jumped ahead (like i always do) to see what I could look forward to and I thought holy crap this will take a long long time....i'll never learn these the way hes playing but maybe i can pick out the best bits ands put my own spin on linking them together. As i lgot into it from the very beginning it occurred to me that he's not really expecting anyone to learn the solos the way hes playing them, they are just his ideas - if you break the licks down you can do whatever you want, wherever you want. In fact I dont even like some of his phrasing, some of it is too repetitive, although I assume he's just illustrating his point.
For 70 bucks this is a slam dunk in my opinion...like i said, not particularly easy, I spent a couple hours just on the first lick.....but i like his approach and I can see myself playing most of these licks...and applying them in a variety of ways.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I am a newbie to blues guitar but do now know the pentatonic boxes.  I am working on Bob M breakdown of Torn Down riffs by Clapton and am really enjoying them.  He imparts some good concepts.  I have learned the first three and must have played them a thousand times.  It is tough making them your own, but it is slowly happening.  I am not familiar with the SWS course but I wish I did it a few years ago.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie

Jon you will like this course. I just got it a few days ago. My biggest problem with learning solos is my memory. If i improvise something myself, its intuitive but if I try to copy something i can never remember which part comes next until i play it about a hundred times. When i got this course, i jumped ahead (like i always do) to see what I could look forward to and I thought holy crap this will take a long long time....i'll never learn these the way hes playing but maybe i can pick out the best bits ands put my own spin on linking them together. As i lgot into it from the very beginning it occurred to me that he's not really expecting anyone to learn the solos the way hes playing them, they are just his ideas - if you break the licks down you can do whatever you want, wherever you want. In fact I dont even like some of his phrasing, some of it is too repetitive, although I assume he's just illustrating his point.
For 70 bucks this is a slam dunk in my opinion...like i said, not particularly easy, I spent a couple hours just on the first lick.....but i like his approach and I can see myself playing most of these licks...and applying them in a variety of ways.

Haven't gone much past the 1st lick. Changing strings on the same fret and finger gives me much frustration. Unlike my regular bag of tricks, it's not a technique I've spent a lot of time with. I like Bob's concept, and it fits well with my own tendencies. Three variants on the 1st lick came just from mistakes.  ;D
I'm thinking that I want to add SWS to my library and try to mesh the three together.

JohnF

Blues Junior
SWS does what it says. Getting between the boxes stretches the neck. It got me to play down  the neck instead of across it. Bob's course I used to learn licks more than solos. I can't keep up with a Clapton solo but each has licks to learn and analyse.

C

chuckp

I got  Bobs Clapton torn down a few months ago  and got  SWS a couple months ago  there just a little to intence for me right now  im still working on BGU  but im learning from them slowly  I enjoy working on the Clapton licks

giayank

Just another day in paradise
I have BBG , BGU , Sws and the torn down course. I have gotten more out of SWS for my original solo's than any other course . I knew the boxes before hand the sws course helps me to use them . It allows me to make music not just play scales . The torn down course goes hand and hand with it . They both show you how to make a solo and where the notes come from in it .If I had to choose one or the other for me I would choose SWS because it is a more complete music course . The clapton torn down is more for somebody who already solo's and is looking for a different way of adding some different flavour to the solo.Both very good just depends on what your working on .

sleepingangel

Blues Newbie
I'm so glad I happened upon this topic. I also bought both Bob's course and then SWS. I almost made the mistake of ordering Slow blues but quickly realized it would be over my head. I am on lesson 12 in Acoustic Blues Guitar and also a year into Learn and Master Guitar (session 13) and enjoying fitting in Pentatonic Power as well as Major Scale Tactics (both bob's downloadable courses) I just got Torn down yesterday and I feel like some of you. I think I played the first lick for two hours straight and finally felt like I had it only to come back to it for a few minutes today and feel all fumbly. I just can't seem to memorize them. I do okay looking at the tab (after a long time trying lol) but when I try to make it my own I just make a ton of mistakes (and yes like some of you come up with alternative licks from the mistakes..but I probably can't do them twice lol) anyway I really like it though. Bob has a a very easy going approach. I also love Griff's videos too..and even Steve over at Learn and Master. I feel like I have struck gold with these instructors. I just wish I had more time to do it all!! I was wondering something though. Is there a comparison between what I am learning in ABGU as opposed to BGU? I almost (but stopped myself lol) ordered BGU but not sure if it's quite neccessary (because of the acoustic one and the other courses I'm doing) what do you all think? I can play the pents and the blues scale across the fretboard but not exactly connecting them. Also when i solo it's like I'm playing parts of the scales.so that's why I thought both Bob's course and SWS would help!
thanks
Maria

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Maria , Just a thought here . I would have sugested at the beginning to start with BGU . however not being able to turn back the clock I would say you have plenty to work with . If your playing SWS ,AbGU and Bob's course than I think your time would be better spent practicing what you have already not buying more courses .BGU I feel is Griff's most complete music course . Teaching a complete blues course . You have all the material in the other courses just not arranged as effectively .Between the forum and Griff's extras I think you should be able to fill in the blanks . Here's the link to Griff's extras just to make sure you have it .

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1270225605

sleepingangel

Blues Newbie
Thanks so much and I think you are totally correct. Right now I have so much to choose from that at times it's daunting when I don't have as much time I can allot to practice. however, in the last month or so I have tried to really take one of the courses and work a little more on them. So far, I am on lesson 11 with the AGU (because I went back and did them all over again and wow what a difference from the first go round) and i'm on the first solo in SWS and I will probably go back again as it's now been a week since I have been able to pick that one up again. and I'm on the 4th lick on the Clapton course. I'm finding that one fun but difficult as I'm not really good at changing the licks and honestly it took me forever to get the second lick. I do much better with slower ones lol. I am also working on music theory and the blues and pentatonic scales (trying to really memorize and take them apart) I still can't solo but I'm hoping with all these resources and feeling very determined to do it that it will eventually come to me. I can see a big improvement in my timing of the blues since I began both of Griff's courses and Bob's Clapton. Before them I just didn't have the feel right. I really love all these resources and just wish I could spend more time practicing...like everyone else I'm sure. Thanks for the advice!
Maria :D

wongtheo

Blues Newbie
I purchased SWS but was also interested in Bob M.'s Clapton Torn Down.  I got a link by email to purchase but order doesn't go through with Paypal or credit card.  Is this course and others by Bob still available?

GGG

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Afraid , that I don't know if it's still available, but good luck getting any kind of reply from Bob. I'd just stick with Griff and ignore all other sparkly items.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
I would recommend SWS or any of Griff's courses BEFORE you branch of to others.  Once you've exhausted Griff's supply, you'll be in a great position to tackle any material out there and also be able to figure out whether it's going to help you out or not in the first place.  Put together, Griff's courses cover just about all the bases and give you a firm foundation to build on.

:cool:

ps - if you ever get interested in jazz, PM me as I have some suggestions in that genre ;-)