(Cheap) Kustom Defender 1X12 Cab

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Ever since I got my Quilter MicroPro Combo 8, I've been looking for a 12" cab to go with it (as a stack). The cab I currently used with my 101 Mini is too narrow for the Combo to sit on properly. Also, I didn't want anything that would be more than 20 lbs. once I transplanted my Eminence 'Lil Texas Neo speaker into it. Quilter makes an empty version of their perfectly matched 12" cab, but it's $400.

By chance, I found the Kustom Defender 1X12 on sale at Guitar Center for 30% off (you can usually get it for at least 15% off), taking the price to $77 with free shipping. The listed dimensions sounded perfect for the Quilter, so I took a shot. As it turned out, the Quilter fits perfectly on top. The handle is lower profile than some, so the feet of the Quilter are able to clear it. It came with a 16 ohm speaker which didn't sound bad, but the 'Lil Texas is a big improvement. It's pretty solidly built, yet lightweight.

Here's the combo (wine sold separately :LOL:).

Quilter and Kustom.jpg

Kustom-back.jpg

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Very nice @MikeR. Does the 12" driver fatten up the sound or that 8" driver? :Beer:

Yep, that's exactly what it does. The 8" is surprisingly full on its own, but there's only so much a speaker that small can do. Even in my small practice room, the sound is much fuller with the 12" plugged in.