Challenging Gig for Jackwagon Blues Band

jporzelius

Blues Junior
So our town has a big Roots festival every year that is a fundraiser for arts and music in the schools. It has grown every year and now involves 3 days, 7 stages and 120 bands. Still, they turn away bands that want to play. This was the first year we applied (which happened in May). When we heard we got in (in July) our bass player had forgotten about it and booked something else for himself. We didn't want to cancel so we grabbed another guy on bass and had 5 or 6 practices to get him ready. Our sax player had left the band earlier so I invited my brother-in-law who lives 6 hours away in Seattle to join us on keyboard. We had all our songs on dropbox for him to practice. We skyped him in for 3 practices but that was marginally useful with the delay. We had one practice with him here the day before the show.

Day of show was 38 degrees with sleet and snow flurries. Still, our ragtag group managed to draw in a small, hardy crowd and had a great time. I only got a couple videos from a friend with a handheld. Here is one of the two I sang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZ8Up-C_40

jim

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Great job! My fingers won't move in temps that low! Heck it's still in the 90's here in Georgia!

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Man you guys had some hurdles to jump for this gig. Great job though as it all seems to have worked out well. Nicely done.

jporzelius

Blues Junior
Hey thanks for all your positive comments. I love BGU and the support of this group. Keeping a band going is a lot of work, but so worth it when you're jamming up on stage and people are moving to the music in the crowd (maybe this time they were just trying to keep warm, but it was still fun).

jim