Caught in the Middle

DrRock

Blues Newbie
Occasionally on the discussion board, we see discussions about counting versus playing by feel. Of course we know Griff advocates counting. I agree with him, but most often I find, especially if I'm doing a longer solo or a full song, that I fairly soon lose focus on the counting, and so have to fall back on winging it. I've tried to overcome this loss of focus, but without much success.

Well if you're caught in the middle between counting and winging it like I am, I would strongly advocate this course. I'm only part way through it, but am already seeing a dramatic improvement in being able to focus on counting. Griff is very systematic in having you work through the licks while counting until you have them down. He also suggests saying out loud the chord changes as they happen. I actually find this harder than counting, to the point that counting is starting to feel somewhat easy in comparison.

I have a ways to go with the course, and am looking forward to continuing to work with it. Thanks Griff. This is a great course and exactly what the doctor ordered.