Cadillac Zach's 12th Anniversary Concert

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Any Blues aficionados in the Los Angeles area should be familiar with the name Cadillac Zach. Zach is a local area blues promoter that has weekly concerts going on in the San Gabriel and San Fernando Valleys and down in Long Beach.

Last night was Zach's 12th year celebration of keeping the blues alive. In order to purchase tickets for the event, you had to attend another of his events roughly two months ago, and tickets for the celebration was strictly cash. Had me wondering if things were gonna get dicey.

My fears went unconfirmed... what a Concert!

Three bands played:
  • Sugarmill Slim - a group that came about due to a local blues Jam that Zach had promoted. Very promising group of young performers, who put on a great set, and are just going to get better with time.
  • Papa Chubby -
  • Jimmy Vivino & special guest
Sugarmill Slim is a group of young guys that came together at a blues jam held at the venue, and took their name from there... Maui Sugar Mill Saloon. They put on a Great set, a lot of promise there. I'm looking forward to catching them again on the local circuit

Next up was Papa Chubby, Holy Hell!! I swear I had a near-religious experience. That man was playing NEXT LEVEL VOODOO BLUES!! He flowed between rhythm and lead, straight-ahead blistering single lines, to syncopated grooves, and slide thrown in for taste. Chubby's Boogie and Over the Rainbow were standouts in a stellar set!!

The final act, Jimmy Vivino and his band had a special guest... Yep. Joe Bonnamassa. Jimmy is a stellar guitarist, and Joe... just being to see him playing close up (as in 20 feet away) was an incredible experience. And what a consummate gentleman, Joe was plenty happy just sitting back in the mix comping under Jimmy and Jimmy's harp player, never showed off when trading licks back and forth, and when he got his opportunity blazed so tastefully. And he's a hell of a singer too!

I'm told that Papa Chubby got back on stage with Jimmy and Joe, but unfortunately I had to bail. I'm sad to have missed that, but as it was I didn't get home until after midnight. Not the best thing on a school night.

I'm going to say that the highlight of my evening, even though I specifically went to see Joe Bonamassa, was experiencing the performance laid down by Papa Chubby, it hit me so hard I felt like I was having an out-of-body experience.