Boxes

Steve F.

Blues newbie
Still a beginner. Working on counting, rhythm and some of the solo lessons.
I keep hearing about the boxes.
I know box 1 and play around with the 4 note solo.
Is that enough for now or should I concentrate more on the other boxes?

artyman

Fareham UK
Probably the best way would be to add box 2 then box 5, so you can move left and right on the fretboard, then add boxes 3&4 after that. That's the way I went.

Steve F.

Blues newbie
Thanks to both ideas. Working the 2 ideas together would help in learning the boxes and practice playing them.

TerryH

Blues Newbie
Just 1 and 2 are a powerful combination, but learning all five is not particularly taxing on the memory. Certainly wouldn't do any harm. Even if you don't use them now, when you do your fingers will know where to go. If you want to go into it with a bit more depth PSTM is excellent.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
If you primarily play in A then 1 and 2 are fine. If you want to change keys but still want to stay around the middle of the fretboard you will need other boxes.

Cheers

Al

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
If you move through the BGU course systematically, you'll learn most of the boxes. If that's not enough or you want it in a digested format I think artyman and sdbrit68 make some strong suggestions.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
"Soloing Without Scales" is a good "bridge" between "The 4 Note Solo" and BGU.

The combination of the "Blues Blocks" in SWS will become the "Pentatonic Boxes" introduced in BGU.

PSTM is technique oriented. It will teach you the patterns and fingerings in the Boxes, but not about how to use them when actually playing a song. The other courses address that aspect of soloing.

From the PSTM intro:

"In this course we are going to push the envelope of both your technical ability, and your ability to mentally “see” the pentatonic and blues shapes on the fretboard."

Last edited: