Bought a memory

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
way way way back in 1989, I was in the military making about $300 a month
I had never had what I would consider a "Real" guitar, all mine were catalog orders.
Well, I couldnt afford a strat of the prized Les Paul

but an Epiphone Strat, yeah, it was a stretch, but, saving every penny, it could be done

on to 1993, daughter on the way, no money for toys, so, guitar had to go.

today, I picked up a 1994 Epiphone s-310, not the same year, but same genere of style made 1989-1994.
for $79, I may or may not ever play it, but cool to have back

310.jpg

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
finally got to test this thing out tonight, never even checked it before i bought it, as it was more nostalgia than anything.

I was thinking, I have much higher end guitars than this ever was supposed to be, so, it would just be a gas to play remembering the past.

I was very wrong, and appraently my memory didnt rememberize correct. This thing had a super fat tone being a single coil SSS, it was already set up nice so very playable.

The sound difference between each PUP is very noticeable ( as in actually does something, not just deeper or tinny), and this was through my Mustang V that I am not overly impressed with.

Next, I plugged into my tube amp...............this thing, dare I say, blows my MIM strat out the water, this may have gone from a wall decoration to being played consistently.

The fat maple neck along with those 30 year old pick ups does wonders

david moon

Attempting the Blues
A good set up can do wonders for a "cheap" guitar. A lot of the Japanese guitars from 35 years ago are very good.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Very cool Mark. :thumbup: My first guitar was some kind of Strat copy as well. Don't remember what the brand was.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Congrats on the find!! That would be a super cool guitar even without the nostalgia factor. After all, I don't think I've ever actually seen one of the fabled Epi S-type guitars without it being in a picture. Glad it's better than you remember it, and enjoy the heck out of it!