BLUES ROCK IN A

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Yikes! I drop down here from time to time. Some how I missed the big RR kick off yesterday.
WOW!  Balls out on your first one! [smiley=beer.gif]

Nice job by everyone! [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Yikes! I drop down here from time to time. Some how I missed the big RR kick off yesterday.
WOW!  Balls out on your first one! [smiley=beer.gif]

Nice job by everyone! [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]
Thank you CaptainMoto!  It will be a day that will go down in infamy.  ;D
By the way, the term "Balls Out" has nothing to do with one's "lower unit".  It came to be due to the look of the governors on old steam engines.  They were a contraption that spun on a vertical shaft and that had two arms on it that hung down alongside the shaft with two big metal balls on the ends of those arms.  When it spun, the centrifugal force made the balls swing out and pull the arms up.  At full speed, the balls were going around in a horizontal circle ... hence the term "Balls Out".

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Nice to hear a couple of first timers.  Well done guys.

It's nice to hear the old timers too!

I haven't contributed lately because I don't have my recording stuff set up yet.  In the VJR you gotta be ready to jump on it, or they fill up pretty fast sometimes.  Of course you can start one and be assured of a slot, but then nobody else wants to play on it.  I had the same problem with kickball in gradeschool....sniff, but that's another story.

I am going to set it up, so all I have to do is grab the recording add a track and upload it.  I will just leave the mics and PC and USB interface all setup ready to record.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
[size=12
[color=#000000]Thank you CaptainMoto!  It will be a day that will go down in infamy.  ;D
By the way, the term "Balls Out" has nothing to do with one's "lower unit".  It came to be due to the look of the governors on old steam engines.  They were a contraption that spun on a vertical shaft and that had two arms on it that hung down alongside the shaft with two big metal balls on the ends of those arms.  When it spun, the centrifugal force made the balls swing out and pull the arms up.  At full speed, the balls were going around in a horizontal circle ... hence the term "Balls Out".[/color]

BGU is a wonderful source of information.
Sometimes I learn stuff I didn't know I needed to know

giayank

Just another day in paradise
[size=12[color=#000000]Thank you CaptainMoto!  It will be a day that will go down in infamy.  ;D
By the way, the term "Balls Out" has nothing to do with one's "lower unit".  It came to be due to the look of the governors on old steam engines.  They were a contraption that spun on a vertical shaft and that had two arms on it that hung down alongside the shaft with two big metal balls on the ends of those arms.  When it spun, the centrifugal force made the balls swing out and pull the arms up.  At full speed, the balls were going around in a horizontal circle ... hence the term "Balls Out".[/color]

Are these the same balls referenced in the phrase " Balls to the wall " or is the colloquially defined meaning correct .  ;)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
[size=12[color=#000000]Thank you CaptainMoto!  It will be a day that will go down in infamy.  ;D

Are these the same balls referenced in the phrase " Balls to the wall " or is the colloquially defined meaning correct .  ;)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=balls+to+the+wall

giayank

Just another day in paradise
I'm not entirely sure what I learned from all this but I know it was something . ;D

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Listening to this much later, Brent's bit reminded me of jimmy Vaughan ... that same kind of cleaner tone and restrained phrasing.  Very nice contrast to me and Chuck.  Way to go, Brent!

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Listening to this much later, Brent's bit reminded me of jimmy Vaughan ... that same kind of cleaner tone and restrained phrasing.  Very nice contrast to me and Chuck.  Way to go, Brent!

Thanks for the compliment, RR. I don't think I'd go as far as to compare my playing to Jimmy Vaughan. LOL :eek: :D

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler

Thanks for the compliment, RR. I don't think I'd go as far as to compare my playing to Jimmy Vaughan. LOL :eek: :D
Well, I said it reminds me of Jimmy Vaughan.  You have a GREAT clean tone going there, and your licks are minimalist (and no, I don't mean "small" ... I mean clear and concise).

brent

Well, I said it reminds me of Jimmy Vaughan.  You have a GREAT clean tone going there, and your licks are minimalist (and no, I don't mean "small" ... I mean clear and concise).

That's more like it.  ;D

Well, my licks are small and minimalist, because I haven't been playing lead very long and that's the best I can do. I don't remember now, but I think that was the Fender Twin setting on the Mustang III amp. I played it with my Michael Kelly semi-hollow body with the neck pickup.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler

That's more like it.  ;D

Well, my licks are small and minimalist, because I haven't been playing lead very long and that's the best I can do. I don't remember now, but I think that was the Fender Twin setting on the Mustang III amp. I played it with my Michael Kelly semi-hollow body with the neck pickup.
Well, what you did play was all good and solid, no fumbling around, no bad notes, and all right in the groove, and tasty ... and great tone.  So for "the best you can do", it's pretty danged good.

brent

Thank you very much. I have been playing guitar for a long time, but as I said am new to playing lead. As such, I have a small "vocabulary" and what you hear on that track is as fast as I can play at this time. I would like to give credit to Griff for helping me (via BGU) to play in the pocket and my private instructor for helping me improve my ear.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Sorry I missed out on this one... I've been tied up with friends in town for the weekend, some band "try-outs" and fighting off a cold.

You guys did a great job, fun listen!  Really happy to have new fresh air down here in the basement.  We were getting kind of musty smelling.  [smiley=huh.gif]