BLUES ROCK IN A

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, here's my first foray into the VJR.  TA DA!  Let the bells ring out and the banners fly! ;D
I took Griff's Blue/Rock in A jamtrack from his 5X5 jam tracks.
I took the first 24 bars because nobody has heard me play here before.
This is my "infamous" Twangocaster Chinese Tele on the neck Pro-Tubes lipstick humbucker.
Through my Mustang III 65 Twin model with a BBE Sonic Stomp and Aphex Xciter and TC Electronic Arena reverb in the effects loop.
In front of the amp the signal goes into my Okko Diablo Gain +, then into my VS Double Trouble, both set on mild gain, then into an Xotic EP Booster set low at about 9 o'clock.
https://db.tt/yMt3J4wN

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
All right Jim, way to jump in there! I'm in for 24 right behind you!

https://db.tt/dUHqjFVy

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Great playing Jim!  Wish I was home to hear it through decent speakers (instead of my laptop).   [smiley=beer.gif]

Chuck, very nice follow.  It really fit right in.   [smiley=beer.gif] 

I'll have to take a look at that track in the lessons.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Hey, Chuck, sounds like you been readin' some of my mail.  Ho!  Very nice follow on.  Different tone, too.  So ... what were you using? 

giayank

Just another day in paradise
    Man that was a real treat you guys . I swear I was transported back in time and I was hearing CREAM"S  " strange brew " right off Disraeli gears . [smiley=beer.gif]

Chuck

Staff member
Hey, Chuck, sounds like you been readin' some of my mail.  Ho!  Very nice follow on.  Different tone, too.  So ... what were you using? 

I'm in a Hotel so there isn't anything special going on, my 339, Ux1/Pod Farm with a Tube Screamer into a Small Tweed and a Reverb. It's what I travel with every week. It's set up about the way I run my rig at home except for this one I used more gain. I normally play with a cleaner tone.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I took 24. Just gotta figure out how to post it. LOL Give me a few minutes.

brent

OK let's see if this works:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ho5clvvv30ywk0c/RRXXXOO.mp3

Go easy on me fellas.

Chuck

Staff member
Nice going Brent! [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] I dropped the "www" from your link and inserted a "dl". This will bring it up in it's own player. Your link was for download.

JD1

Blues Newbie
Brent, Yes it did. I had to download to play as opposed to the autoplayer... but I think Chuck fixed that for ya....

Sounded good!!!

brent

Nice going Brent! [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] I dropped the "www" from your link and inserted a "dl". This will bring it up in it's own player. Your link was for download.

Thanks! First time for me, too. I must have done about 20 takes, mostly just trying to get the volume right in the mix. I still think I should have toned it down a little bit more, but I was tired of fiddling with it by the end. There were parts of the other takes that I liked better, but this was the "best overall". Now that I know the process and have a dropbox, I will do this more often. So much fun!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler

Thanks! First time for me, too. I must have done about 20 takes, mostly just trying to get the volume right in the mix. I still think I should have toned it down a little bit more, but I was tired of fiddling with it by the end. There were parts of the other takes that I liked better, but this was the "best overall". Now that I know the process and have a dropbox, I will do this more often. So much fun!
I had the same "problem" with Audacity.  If I recorded my guitar loud enough to hear myself over the jam track when playing, it recorded too loud.  I found that by just lowering the output level of my guitar track a bit before playing it back or exporting it that it worked out just fine.  I exported it three times before I got it "right".  But I agree Brent, your playing is just fine ... great job! 
And giayank, there is no way my playing is anywhere near the level of Cream and Disraeli Gears ... but thanks for the compliment anyway.  ;)

brent

I had the same "problem" with Audacity.  If I recorded my guitar loud enough to hear myself over the jam track when playing, it recorded too loud.  I found that by just lowering the output level of my guitar track a bit before exporting it that it worked out just fine.  I exported it three times before I got it "right".  But I agree Brent, your playing is just fine ... great job!

I used my Mustang III amp to record into audacity. I adjusted the usb gain (found in the advanced amp settings) to get the volume to where I wanted it. I don't check the box that says play the new track while it's recording. I found there to be a latency that way. I just listen to the backing track through my computers speakers and my guitar through the Mustang's speaker.

And thanks for the compliments guys. I feel that my soloing is getting a little better. Wasn't that long ago, when I tried to solo, it sounded like I was playing the scale up and down (because I was).  :D

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I can't use the USB on my Mustang because I have pedals in the effects loop that are fundamental to my tone, and what is in the effects loop does not transfer across the USB.  So I'm stuck using the built-in mics on my laptop, which doesn't have a separate mic input.  If there is latency, well, there's just latency. 

At least until I can figure out how to use my new Tascam DP006 ... which is still making my eyeballs cross.  It's supposed to have a lot better mics than my laptop, and no latency issues ... but it's also a lot more complicated to use than Audacity.

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
Very nice fellows! Let me say welcome to Rancid & Brent [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]you each get an extra brewski--Chuck, I've heard you down here before, nice again as always [smiley=beer.gif]--it's great to get other members down here contributing to the VJR, or as it is dubbed The Basement.

Carlos

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Hey Carlos ...
Thanks for the compliments.  You bugged me more than once to jump in down here in the "basement".  Well, there's still 48 bars left, so ....
:)