Blues Modes Solo - The Whole Darn Thing - Day 2 (80 bpm)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
First attempt @ 60 bpm.

I first learned it at 50 bpm, since the session was on counting it, not necessarily being able to play it at "Griff Speed", which I admit without reservation I will never be able to do.:(

I don't see any point in trying to go faster until I get it down at this speed.

I think I got at least 60% of the notes correct and at the right time.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/kv87xt45twq7oy9/First attempt.mp3?dl=0

Try to ignore the tone,

It doesn't sound anything like it did in my headphones when I recorded it.o_O

And I'm supposed to be working on my BB licks.

And Griff's 2 newest courses.:whistle:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Wow! that's great. Now that you haveait under your fingers, it's just a matter of time before you can play it at 100% for real.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Sounding good to me! And you gave me an idea. I may have to record mine tonight, speed it up to 100%, and see if my new skills impress my wife. :ROFLMAO:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
And if she's so impressed that she asks you to play it live for her ........

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
How the hell do you memorize it so fast ??? Do you have the count memorized as well for all the licks ?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Oops! I was just going to edit the title but I was too late.

I've been working on it for 4 days.

It's the 2nd day I've recorded.:)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Do you have the count memorized as well for all the licks ?
I count when I'm learning/memorizing a lick.

Then when I put them all together I only need know on which count each one starts.

Once I have everything memorized I stop counting.o_O

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Got up to 90 bpm today.:whistle:

Also realized I've been playing the end of the first lick wrong.:(

Can play all but the 3 longest licks at 100.

You know which ones they are.:sneaky:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Wait a minute!! You went from 60bpm to 100bpm on this solo in the space of 3 days? It's official. I hate you!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Really I don't.

I actually thought I had a version that I was happy enough with that I got over lunch time today, and then realized that it recorded audio, but the video didn't take for some reason. I'll have to try again tonight once I get off work and see if I can (1) get the vid to work and (2) play it better than I did.

I usually try to play something as perfect as I can, but it occurred to me last week while I was playing through it that, it's a FIX IT session. If I play it perfect (or even mostly right), then Griff can't tell me as easily what to do different. So I'm sure mine is going to get posted with plenty of mistakes.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
You went from 60bpm to 100bpm on this solo in the space of 3 days?
What you don't know is how many times I played it during that time.:whistle:

Let's just say a lot.:sneaky:

I was aware of this lesson, but always thought "There's no way!!!".

If it wasn't for you and @MikeS I never would have even gotten started on this.

I thank you guys for the inspiration.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing your submissions and Griff's comments on Friday.:)

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Sounds great Paleo. I'm not sure who inspired who, but listening to yours has spurred me again to get past bar 9.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I break it up into somewhere between 20 and 25.

I break up the longer passages into smaller units, similar to "Blues Speed Building Blocks" where Griff starts with small "moves" and then links them together into longer "licks".

For example, the bar line between measures 6 & 7 separates the descending part that ends on the 12th fret D from the ascending part that starts on 12th fret A. I practice each part separately, then connect them with a finger roll. This same move occurs in 3 other places.