Blues History Links

jimsig

Me at BGU-Live 2016 in Sumner, WA on 5-13-2016
JimSig -

First I want to say, Thank You!

Unfortunately, I don't think the content you uploaded is usable. Here is the results:

NBTB (root folder) =

404! That file isn't here anymore
404! That file isn't here anymore

Audio _TS =

This folder is empty
Error (404) We can't find the page you're looking for.

VIDEO_TS = (I downloade these but they don't contain the content)
VIDEO_ts.bup 12 KB
VIDEO_TS.IFO 12 KB
VTS_01_BUP 76KB
VTS_01_0.IFO 76KB

I don't know if anything can be done about this. Maybe the video can be ripped like an audio CD to one file.

Thank you for trying.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

jimsig

Hi,

For some reason you got some of the files from the VIDEO_TS folder, but not all of them... The other two folders (root and AUDIO_TS I knew you wouldn't get)

I found a program to make an ISO file. It can be used to burn a DVD, or I was able to use VLC (on a Mac) to watch it as an ISO file right on my hard drive.

Link to copyrighted material removed

Give that a try hopefully it will work!

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Thanks JimSig! I downloaded the iso. Now I have to burn a CD. Then I will copy the files to a hard drive. I'll keep you posted.

jimsig

Thanks JimSig! I downloaded the iso. Now I have to burn a CD. Then I will copy the files to a hard drive. I'll keep you posted.

Great HotLks! Let me know if it works for you.

Hmm.. I just saw that my link to the .ISO was removed because it was a "link to copyrighted material". Since this movie was never released, and was just played once on PUBLIC television in Europe ONCE and videotaped by someone, from which this DVD was made, I'm not sure why it's considered to be copyrighted.

Plus there are streaming links to the movie at the top of this page to the same movie, so why are those OK?. So YouTube can have it on their site, yet a link to the SAME video in a different format (.ISO) on here is removed because it's copyrighted? That makes NO sense.

I'm glad you got it before the link was removed, and I would not have posted it if I considered it copyrighted, rather than "abandoned" and never to be released as a public movie. I'm a member of ASCAP and know about copyrighting, and this case just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

Mark from Murrieta

Blues Junior
FYI, to download Youtube video: but type ss before the youtube in the url, hit the enter key.

Convert a youtube music video to .MP3, go to Google and search "youtube to MP3" choose the first result. Works great.

Want to make an .ISO out of anything, go to www.ninite.com and download the ImgBurn program. Want to make audio CD's out of .MP3's, download CDBurnerXP from ninite.

All of these programs on www.ninite.com are free, it's not an illegal software web site.

AGAIN, none of these programs are ripped off, their all shareware and they are very good.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Plus there are streaming links to the movie at the top of this page to the same movie, so why are those OK?. So YouTube can have it on their site, yet a link to the SAME video in a different format (.ISO) on here is removed because it's copyrighted? That makes NO sense.

Linking to Youtube is legal. Publishing an ISO or IMG file of a privately owned DVD is generally considered piracy. Individual videos may indeed be exempt, but posting of .ISO or .IMG files is a red flag for the copyright police and can bring unnecessary scrutiny on the forum. If you want to share something like that, please exchange links via PM or preferably via email and completely off the forum. Thanks!

jimsig

Linking to Youtube is legal. Publishing an ISO or IMG file of a privately owned DVD is generally considered piracy. Individual videos may indeed be exempt, but posting of .ISO or .IMG files is a red flag for the copyright police and can bring unnecessary scrutiny on the forum. If you want to share something like that, please exchange links via PM or preferably via email and completely off the forum. Thanks!

Hey Papa,

I'll take your word for the fact that a video on YouTube, probably obtained by them in the same manner I got mine (since this movie is NOT commercially available nor was it ever publicly broadcast for profit, it's source is a private citizen's VCR recording of a PBS station playing it just once, I believe) is legal to watch OR download (which is very easy to do and then burn that to a DVD and you have the same thing I have), yet a .ISO file of the exact same movie on a private (mine) DVD, again obtained likely in the same manner as YouTube ultimately got it) is piracy...

No, even as an ASCAP member and published composer (meaning I've had to deal with copyrights on my own works many times), that "distinction" between what is legal and what is piracy is absurd. But I will abstain from posting .ISO or .IMG files on this forum, as I don't ever want to put this forum in any kind of a legal mess, since it's probably the most valuable Blues forum in existence and I care very much for the welfare of Griff and all his students (including myself) that use this.

But I really do hope on some other much less valuable forum that this very issue becomes a legal issue that perhaps has to go as far as to the Supreme Court (not that I agree with many of their decisions, but occasionally an issue is SO black and white obviously absurd, that they can't help but make the right decision). Simply because I know about copyrighted material, and the distinction here between posting a link to a non-commercial movie vs. posting an .ISO of that same movie, probably initially obtained from the same original source, is beyond my comprehension.

But I will obey this forum's rules for the sake of this forum, and you don't have to reply to this - let this matter drop and hopefully in the future common sense may prevail just a bit more in our copyright laws.

panther

Blues Newbie
A few years back I used to go to a site called Delta Blues Foundation. The opening screen was a swamp photo with crickets and frogs in the background. It had hundreds of links to Blues music organizations and historic sites. When I click on the site now it comes up as Server Not found. Can anyone tell me what happened to the site or has it been renamed, or just gone. What a shameful waste if it's gone.

Dan

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Can anyone tell me what happened to the site or has it been renamed, or just gone.
Not familiar with that page, and you didn't give a url for it. You might hit the wayback machine and see if it can tell you anything. If nothing else, if the site is gone, you'll see an approximate time of when it went away. I know there are several pages that I have depended on it the past that eventually became unmaintained and finally died. For instance, the Unofficial Epiphone Wiki quit being maintained and went away. It has recently come back under the name The Unofficial Epiphone Wiki Archive, but whoever is hosting it now is just using the last iteration before it quit being maintained. They're not adding anything new to it, so there's nothing newer than about 5 or 6 years ago on it.

The problem is, so many sites are maintained by individuals, and, eventually, they quit putting the time and money into what is probably just a hobby. Once that happens, if no one is there to pick up where they left off, the site goes away.