Blues Comping

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I bought Jeff McEralain's Blues Comping Course. Into learning or relearning Chords and the first lesson right now. Alot of fun actually just comping . Once I get this course under my belt I'll start adding some fills and little solo of my own (Griff's actually) to the jam tracks. Think after this I'll devote a day of practice to nothing but chords and comping . Didn't realize how deficient I am in this area because I'm always working on solos and licks etc. However be warned the FONT on the pdf's are real small. I wound up writing some stuff to the outside of the music staff so I don't need reading glasses over my contacts.

chemeagle

Blues Newbie
I bought Jeff McEralain's Blues Comping Course. Into learning or relearning Chords and the first lesson right now. Alot of fun actually just comping . Once I get this course under my belt I'll start adding some fills and little solo of my own (Griff's actually) to the jam tracks. Think after this I'll devote a day of practice to nothing but chords and comping . Didn't realize how deficient I am in this area because I'm always working on solos and licks etc. However be warned the FONT on the pdf's are real small. I wound up writing some stuff to the outside of the music staff so I don't need reading glasses over my contacts.

Thanks for heads up. I got it for $15 on a back to school sale. Shhh...I’m not going back [to school]

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Another nice course for comping is Brad Carlton's Rhythmology. He covers comping in Blues, Funk, Rock, Jazz and Latin.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
BGU Has loads of comping lesson, Strumming and Rhythm Mastery too.

chemeagle

Blues Newbie

Interestingly, I'd just taken a look at Griff's YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwKq8X4UCY and downloaded a couple other o fhis supporting videos when I saw this post. For $15, what do I have to lose, or gain. McErlain quickly gets into multiple voices over the entire neck for the 1, 4, 5 little chords. I think I have plenty to keep me busy, but if Griff comes up with a complete comping course (much like his YourTube video, I'd want to get it too. Though he covers aspects of this in lots of his courses, it would be nice if it was all in the same place. Just a thought. Since I have everyone of his courses, I need more shiny rocks to look at.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Add to that the first 2 sections of "How To Build Blues Songs", which also contain 86 audio examples.

And "52 Rhythm Fills & Variations".:)

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Interestingly, I'd just taken a look at Griff's YouTube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwKq8X4UCY and downloaded a couple other o fhis supporting videos when I saw this post. For $15, what do I have to lose, or gain. McErlain quickly gets into multiple voices over the entire neck for the 1, 4, 5 little chords. I think I have plenty to keep me busy, but if Griff comes up with a complete comping course (much like his YourTube video, I'd want to get it too. Though he covers aspects of this in lots of his courses, it would be nice if it was all in the same place. Just a thought. Since I have everyone of his courses, I need more shiny rocks to look at.
That's what I thought.$15 why not as I have Griff s other stuff. Just like pedals just buying another course

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I like Jeff's videos but the intro to that one seemed like there wasn't anything particularly new that I hadn't already seen with Griff's videos. I'm staying away from Truefire now because I have 30 of their videos - $5 x 30 = $150 and I've only used about 6 of them. Bob Murnahan told me "watching videos doesn't make you a guitarist, practice does". YMMV.

Eric

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Maybe I should put that into practice and go practice.

What about reading about practicing or posting comments about practicing on a forum about practicing?o_O

Should I practice what I preach?

Or start preaching what I practice?

Wait a minute.

I interrupted my practice to post this.

I don't have time for this.

I'm gonna go practice.

Last edited:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Three simple rules will help to resolve the aforementioned ailments.

1) Before buying any course, be it $5 or $105 be sure it contains content which will help you improve your playing, that you are interested in the material and that the instructor's style resonates with you.

2) Catalog your courses so you know, what you have, what you are working on, and what you are looking for in the future. Setting goals along the way is also beneficial.

3) While watching said videos, do so with a guitar in your hand, and do your best to repeat what you see on screen.

If you find you do not like your courses, your gear, or your sports car, just contact me and I will gladly make arrangements to pick them up.

Now back to watching videos and mangling what I see on the screen. :D

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I am totally guilty of buying courses for the sake of courses. I keep promising a self-imposed moratorium on TrueFire Courses. Someone above mentioned 5? I'm approaching 100. Most were purchased for $5 here and there... but a significant were at higher prices. Yeah... dumb.

However, comping... Jeff's course is good! I'd think of it as a reframe of other materials that are scattered about. Griff's 52 Rhythm Fills and Variations comes to mind for that as well. In fact, it's probably the closest to an out and out "Comping" course.

Right now I'm working my way through a couple of Griff's courses right now, and just hit Section 11 of BGU2.0. While the section is about the minor blues, this is really a mini-lesson on comping!!

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I am totally guilty of buying courses for the sake of courses. I keep promising a self-imposed moratorium on TrueFire Courses. Someone above mentioned 5? I'm approaching 100. Most were purchased for $5 here and there... but a significant were at higher prices. Yeah... dumb.
Yeah, those $5 downloads are hard to resist!