blog or lesson on how to count by Griff

GuitarGeorge

Blues Newbie
I am sure Mike S knows this but anyone can help. Do you have a link to a lesson on how to count by Griff. I am pretty sure he did a lot in SOYL lab so I could probably look there for good example. Just wanted to know if there was a lesson or blog that he give tips and good how to on.

Thanks

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Pick a lesson, they all have counting :)

The most thorough counting thing I've ever done is in Acoustic BGU, it's an entire DVD worth (over an hour.) But all through BBG and in BGU there are things about counting.

There's really no single video or lesson that would do it, mostly you just have to make it a part of everything you practice until it becomes 2nd nature - which doesn't take very long, actually.

If you need help converting what you see on the page to counts, try this one:
https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/blog/rhythmic-note-reading/

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I sometimes get to a point where it's my mouth that's the limiting factor in counting. If I'm trying to practice something fairly fast, I just can't articulate the syllables quickly enough. I've ended up developing a sort of "a-di-di-di-a-di-di-di-a-di-di-di-a-di-di-di", where it's really only my tongue that's moving, and the 1-2-3-4 (beat) count is subliminal. I think Griff said somewhere that you have to eventually get to a point where you play more than one note with each count, but you still have to count - I haven't got to the point where I can do that yet, so I (let's call it) "scat-count".

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
The video associated with counting contained in the Acoustic BGU is real good. I'm doing it now. I get mixed up at times but I can see I'm starting to get the hang of counting out loud the more I practice.

MarcV

Blues Junior
I sometimes get to a point where it's my mouth that's the limiting factor in counting. If I'm trying to practice something fairly fast, I just can't articulate the syllables quickly enough. I've ended up developing a sort of "a-di-di-di-a-di-di-di-a-di-di-di-a-di-di-di", where it's really only my tongue that's moving, and the 1-2-3-4 (beat) count is subliminal. I think Griff said somewhere that you have to eventually get to a point where you play more than one note with each count, but you still have to count - I haven't got to the point where I can do that yet, so I (let's call it) "scat-count".
You are not alone there, that is exactly what happens to me when I am loosing the counting is I start saying jibberish, but what I find is that as long as you are playing and staying in touch with the 1, 2, 3 and 4 on the beat you are making progress. It is a constant challenge that takes practice. Also to Mountain Man's point I think that foot tapping is really helpful to. To me if you are playing something and you are getting the beat counts correct with a consistent foot tap and on rhthym then complete counting comes next.