Big block, 4-speed tranny and a 3-speed rear end

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
OK, time to convince you all that I really am certifiably NUTS.
I re-wired my MIM Strat to give it a 4-speed tranny and a 3-speed rear end.  What do I mean by that? 

I have two teles, both with 4-way switches to get the neck and bridge on in series.  I LOVE that series connection.  I wanted to manage doing that to my Strat … so I could get the neck and middle in series or the middle and bridge in series and still retain all the stock pickup selections. 

It hit me that if you were to think of the middle pickup and bridge pickup as the two coils of a big humbucker, and put those on a 3-way splitter for either pickup or both in series and thought of that 3-way splitter as your new “bridge”, you could simply put a 4-way switch for a Tele into a Strat and be done.

I thought that to do that I would need to go to a single volume and single tone control like in a Tele, and use one of the holes for the removed tone pot to put the 3-way splitter switch in.  This new 3-way toggle would see a whole lot of use and have to be one that could be EASILY found and manipulated and would have to be RUGGED.  So a mini-toggle just wouldn’t do.  I had to find a DPDT ON-ON-ON switch that is a full-sized toggle switch.  So I went looking, and finally found one.
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70118724&mkwid=sO2fOP9oj&pcrid=23475517937&pkw=2nt1-12&pmt=b&pdv=c&gclid=CNG_152e67wCFdBqfgodV0MAGg#tab=overview

I ordered a 4-way Tele switch and this nice big rugged DPDT ON-ON-ON switch.  I put the DPDT toggle switch where the middle tone control used to be … in close proximity with and basically right in line with the 4-way selector for quick manipulation.  And so when the toggle is forward it’s the middle pickup, when in the middle it’s the middle and bridge in series, and when it’s to the rear it’s the bridge pickup so it’s intuitive.

Now whenever the 4-way selector is in any position OTHER THAN neck only, it is using the “bridge” pickup, and which pickup/s the “bridge” is depends on where the 3-way toggle is set.  It really isn’t any more complicated than if you had a Tele with a big humbucker bridge and a 4-way switch and a 3-way splitter on that bridge pickup. 

Here are the available pickup combinations:
01 Neck Only
02 Neck in parallel with middle
03 Neck in parallel with bridge *
04 Neck in parallel with middle and bridge in series *
05 Neck in SERIES with middle *
06 Neck in SERIES with bridge *
07 ALL THREE PICKUPS IN SERIES *
08 Middle pickup only
09 Bridge pickup only
10 Middle and Bridge in SERIES *

The only standard selection given up is the middle and bridge in parallel … a combination I rarely used anyway.  But 6 selections are gained that weren’t previously available (marked with asterisks).

And those series connections give my Strat some VERY convincing “big humbucker” sounds!  This guitar used to be my favorite go-to guitar.  Now it still is, it just went up by a quantum leap.  The bridge and middle in series makes for a really NICE powerful lead.  The neck and middle in series makes for really NICE warm, FAT, powerful blues.  And all three in series sounds a lot like the neck in series with the bridge, just MORE.  And all of that without compromising the pure stock Strat sounds of those wonderful Klein 1957 Epic Series pickups one bit.

On the 4-way selector, the “series” notch is right next to the “neck only” notch, and this is PERFECT.  I play this guitar primarily on the neck pickup only.  If I want a hotter/brighter sound, it is only one notch away, and also never losing the fatness of the neck pickup.  But there are three flavors of “hotter/brighter” depending on where that 3-way selector is set.  It’s like kicking in a big humbucker with three flavors.  If all I want is “brighter”, just flip the 4-way all the way to the rear for “bridge only”, and I have three flavors of “brighter” depending on where the 3-way selector is set … and one of those is like a big humbucker as well.   It seems complicated, but after playing with it for just a half hour it becomes totally intuitive and very easy. 

If you are familiar with Bian May of Queen, you know that he hand-built his own guitar and used three single-coils and three slider switches and that all of his multi-pickup selections were wired IN SERIES.  This set up I have devised gives you all of those very same selections … as well as all of the stock parallel selections except one.

Here is the wiring for the 4-way switch.
8620251745_524f64cb4d_o.jpg

And here is the wiring for a 3-way splitter for either coil or both in series.
9062036548_122c88eb60_o.jpg

In the diagrams, the green wire going to the bridge pickup goes to the splitter instead, and the output of the splitter goes to ground.

And here is a close-up of the guitar body, pickups and controls. 
13202741745_29fd2a05d5_o.jpg

If the tail of the tremolo looks a bit odd to you, it is a Killer Guitar Components Mega-Trem; the
Big block part of the thread title.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
SOUNDCLIP:
I did the sound clip in the following order, playing the same lick 10 times.  I left the series connections until last because they are more powerful and more “ballsy” than any of the others.  So you can note the difference.  In the sound clip, I only say the NUMBER below to identify the next lick, so HAVE THIS PAGE UP IN FRONT OF YOU WHEN LISTENING TO THE SOUND CLIP.
01 Neck Only  00:02
02 Neck in parallel with middle 00:16
03 * Neck in parallel with bridge 00:32
04 Middle pickup only 00:49
05 Bridge pickup only 01:04
06 * Neck in parallel (with middle and bridge in series) 01:23
07 * Neck in SERIES with middle 01:47
08 * Neck in SERIES with bridge 02:04
09 * Middle and Bridge in SERIES 02:31
10 * ALL THREE PICKUPS IN SERIES 02:54
Those with asterisks are brand new selections that were not available before.
DROPBOX       https://db.tt/eJuKjjlE
SOUNDCLOUD https://soundcloud.com/rancid-rumpboogie/speed-rear-end

Something to consider:  With the 3-way toggle set for only the bridge pickup, the 4-way selector then gives you EXACTLY what you would have with a Tele.  The same neck/bridge parallel and series connections you would have with a Tele and a 4-way switch.  Only difference is that they are Strat pickups.  With the toggle in the middle-only position, it's like a Tele with a very warm bridge pickup.  With the toggle in the middle position it's like a Tele with a big fat humbucker in the bridge.

Overkill:.  Many will think this (10 different pickup selections) is overkill.  Many also think a 4-way switch on a Tele is overkill.  Some think splitter switches on humbuckers is overkill.  Some think humbuckers on a Tele is overkill.  And some (me included) think that a Tele with humbuckers in it isn’t even a Tele any more and the same about a Strat with humbuckers in it because the Tele can no longer do the pure Tele thing and neither can the Strat do the pure Strat thing.  All such things are subjective.

Some of these selections sound really subtle in the sound clip, but sitting in front of the amp, they are quite apparent.  I think selections 07, 08 & 09 are VERY useful.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Big block: About the tremolo unit: It’s worth the cost!  IMHO
http://www.killerguitarcomponents.com/bridges-tailpieces/tremolo-bridges-vibrato/kgc-stratr-style-tremolos/kgc-mega-trem-detail

The Killer Guitar Components mega-mass brass tremolo block increases the mass of the bridge as does the mega-trem brass base plate.

I also installed the KGC brass tremolo claw.
http://www.killerguitarcomponents.com/parts-hardware/tremolo-parts/killer-brass-claws

And their Raw Vintage Tremolo Springs.
http://www.killerguitarcomponents.com/parts-hardware/tremolo-parts/springs/raw-vintage-tremolo-springs-set-of-5-detail

My stock guitar had a light-weight zink or pot metal tremolo block.  If your guitar has a bigger, heavier steel block in it, your mileage will vary from mine.

It gave my guitar WAY more sustain, notably warmed up the tone and gave it notably more resonance.  Of course I don’t know how much of that was due to the tremolo block and bridge plate, how much was due to the claw and how much is due to the springs, since I installed them all at the same time.  In short, it made my guitar come alive!  Resonance is even across all the strings, note separation is much better, and the E and A strings have an almost piano like clarity now, the B and E strings have plenty of bite but are now rounder and fatter, and sustain increased dramatically.  I LOVE the difference it made!  Especially the piano-like clarity of the bass strings.

Their tremolo blocks all include their proprietary “flop stop” and since installing it there has been zero free-play in my tremolo arm and it no longer flops around like a pendulum; it stays parked where I put it.  The Vintage Tremolo Springs made my tremolo action much easier and smoother, and combined with the nice tight tremolo arm it all translates to much finer control of my tremolo “antics”.

Here is an excellent article that substantiates that: What he has to say about sustain is midway down in the article.  It’s a long read, but worth it.
http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/new/node/640
Look for the sub-heading “The Bridge and Saddles”.

Just google “Killer Guitar Components” and read the reviews.  ‘nuff said.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpQM4E6l1Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgvfQUWOX18

I did this tremolo upgrade months before I did this “4-speed tranny and 3-speed rear end” mod.

Before I did that, I added a Klein steel base-plate to my bridge pickup, which noticeably removed the “spiky” parts of the highs and fattened up the bass and mids … just a bit … nothing dramatic, but enough to be a noticeable difference in a good way.  IMHO well worth the $15.00 and half hour it took to do the mod.  And it’s reversible … if you don’t like it you an easily take it back out.  The base plate was added before the tremolo upgrade, so these results are just from adding the baseplate, and the tremolo results are just from the tremolo block upgrade.
http://www.kleinpickups.com/p-48-stratocaster-bridge-baseplate.aspx

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
And just to keep certain individuals happy: ;)
If you are a newbie reading this, none of these mods will do one blessed thing towards making you a better player!  Only PRACTICE and more PRACTICE will do that!  These mods may (subjective) make your GUITAR sound better but they will not make YOU sound better! 

If you’re a newbie and have a Strat, you can go ahead and do the “4-speed tranny” mod because it only costs about $40.00 and it will also teach you a bit about how pickups and wiring work, how to solder, maybe how to swear properly, etc.   Ditto for the pickup base plate … it only costs about ten bucks and is easily reversible. 

But if you’re a newbie I certainly don’t suggest spending nearly $200.00 on a nifty tremolo just to get more sustain and a little nicer tremolo action and a little more “open” tone!  This isn’t a mod you want to do unless it’s to a guitar that you KNOW you will be keeping FOR LIFE … because you will NEVER get your money back out of it.  And if you’re a newbie you just DON’T KNOW THAT!  You may THINK you know that, but believe me, you DON’T.  As you get to be a better player your ear is going to change, your preference of guitar type might change, etc.

Shodai

Blues Junior
Well beyond my technical abilities, but I do like the odd, eclectic and different, and if nothing else can be said for some of your Frankenstein science projects, they are different, and that makes them interesting!

I like it.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Wow, A lot of great sounds in there.  I imagine you've got 10 versions of your favorite sounds in there.  Nice imaginative project and, having just tried to swap out the pickups on my MIM strat, I'm quite impressed with your work here.  Great job!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Wow, A lot of great sounds in there.  I imagine you've got 10 versions of your favorite sounds in there.  Nice imaginative project and, having just tried to swap out the pickups on my MIM strat, I'm quite impressed with your work here.  Great job!
My main objective was the series connections 07, 08 and 09 in the sound clip.  Those take my Strat into some definite Les Paul territory.  I'm quite happy with how that turned out.

It would probably look a little better with a small mini-toggle, but I wanted a more robust toggle that would stand up to years of hard use and also be quicker to find and that had a more positive feel to it.  I had to take my Dremel tool and grind the toggle shorter so the tremolo arm would clear it.  It looks a little more "industrial" than a mini-toggle would, but I like it just fine.

Strick

Blues Newbie
I liked #5 the best.  Your technical abilities are light years away from mine.  I feel like I'm violating my Strat by just changing the strings.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I liked #5 the best.  Your technical abilities are light years away from mine.  I feel like I'm violating my Strat by just changing the strings.
Well, there's nothing new about #05 ... it's the same bridge pickup as before.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
wow! I thinks Jim could make a paper clip sound better! LOL

Peace

I'm sure that's not an exaggeration!  I'm in awe of those of you that mess with the workings of your guitars and/or build them.  Especially RR.  Reading through here again made me realize how much I learn everytime there's a project going on here on the forum.  RR's been walking me through changing the pups in my MIM strat and once I had the pick guard off I was glad he was there. One day I hope to be able to do half of what ya'll do.  Rancid, thanks for sharing your adventures with us. 

gpower

Blues Junior
Lot of fun to play with all that wiring and the combinations. I guess I'm just into 2 speed Powerglides.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Lot of fun to play with all that wiring and the combinations. I guess I'm just into 2 speed Powerglides.
Well, hmm.  If you can run a Tele you can run this set-up, no problem.  Here's a quote from my earlier post:
"Something to consider:  With the 3-way toggle set for only the bridge pickup, the 4-way selector then gives you EXACTLY what you would have with a Tele.  The same neck/bridge parallel and series connections you would have with a Tele and a 4-way switch.  Only difference is that they are Strat pickups.  With the toggle in the middle-only position, it's like a Tele with a very warm bridge pickup.  With the toggle in the middle position it's like a Tele with a big fat humbucker in the bridge."
Of course there are other selections, but if you don't want to deal with them, for the sake of simplicity just set up your "Tele" with whatever bridge configuration you want and boogy on and forget all about that 2nd toggle. 
You can "drive" it like a Powerglide ... or do all the "split-shifting" and "double-clutching" you want.  ;)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have recently taken this guitar up another notch and replaced the Klein 1957 Epic Series pickups with a set of Zexcoil pickups.  The Zexcoils are utterly fantastic.  They sound even better than the Kleins and now the guitar is 100% dead quiet ... absolutely zero hum even in the series connections.
So now it looks like this:

14995967268_3f4e8fbe1e_o.jpg

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Yes, Cowboy and Mickey, I probably am certifiably nuts.  But I work at it!  Who needs a world full of sane people?  That would be boring.  ;D
crazy-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif