BGU Lesson 29

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
So was looking at BGU 2.0 Lesson 29 Ex.29-1

Not knowing alot of theory or modes, I am a little familiar with them and can run through them so...

My question is where the fingering under the F shows 1st string on fret 13 and 3rd string 14th fret.. Shouldn;t it be 14th fret on both 1st and 3rd string. If i run through scale I'm not hitting the 13th fret unless I'm not playing the scale right.

(It is corrected per Paparaptor)

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
So was looking at BGU 2.0 Lesson 29 Ex.29-1

Not knowing alot of theory or modes, I am a little familiar with them and can run through them so...

My question is where the fingering under the F shows 1st string on fret 13 and 4th string 14th fret.. Shouldn;t it be 14th fret on both 1st and 4th string. If i run through scale I'm not hitting the 13th fret unless I'm not playing the scale right.
You mean the 1st and third string, right?
No, the document is correct. If you watch the video for 29-1, Griff explains it starting around 4:45 into the video.
You're not in the key of G, but the key of C.
You are playing an inverted F major chord, A (third string) and F (first string)
It's not explained in the documentation (at that point).

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
You mean the 1st and third string, right?
No, the document is correct. If you watch the video for 29-1, Griff explains it starting around 4:45 into the video.
You're not in the key of G, but the key of C.
You are playing an inverted F major chord, A (third string) and F (first string)
It's not explained in the documentation (at that point).

Yes I meant 3rd string

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
As @PapaRaptor says you're playing the chords of the Key of C (root on the 1st string, 3rd on 3rd string).

However, you're starting on G which will be a Mixolydian scale, as Griff explains immediately below Example 29-1 in the manual, page 100.

F# is the 7 in G.

In G Mixolydian the 7 is flatted, i.e. F#----->F.

Any chord in G that has an F# (Bm, D and F#mb5) will now have an F (Bmb5, Dm and F).

Try playing just the roots along the 1st string. It will sound like G Major 'til you get to the F (b7) at the 13th fret.

You're playing a G Mixolydian scale. :)

(If you play the notes along the 3rd string, you'll be playing a B Locrian scale. o_O)

Last edited: