BGU Bonus Material - Recordings from Lessons from the Masters

Steely Glen

I been down so long, down don't bother me.
I took a break between BGU lessons 29 and 30 to dabble in the Lessons from the Masters material that Griff provided. I found all four solos to be quite fun and very reminiscent of the men after which they're styled. I have to say that BB King's solo was my favorite.

Below are the four recordings I attempted. I'd love your feedback on how it sounds and areas to improve:

Albert King

BB King

Freddie King

Eric Clapton

Now back to finish BGU.....

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Wow!!!! That was some "dabbling!" Excellent, excellent, excellent, and excellent! You totally owned all four, and the recordings were great, too! Great playing Steely Glen!

Steely Glen

Thanks gents! I felt like I needed a 335 for several of these recordings. Now to convince the wife...... :ROFLMAO:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Very well done!

BTW, I agree with Kestrou. Anyone covering Albert King needs a Flying V, if only just for attitude! :thumbup::thumbup:

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Nice work! So are you saying that BB King's style works best with your internal clock?

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
That was a really cool variation from the main BGU and they all sound great, well done. I like the way you married up the relevant artwork, shows how tuned in you are. (y)

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Real cool, I like seeing videos it always looks so much easier the bummer is when I try and play with a backing track it all falls to bits. :(

But it's fun and it passes the time. (y)

Steely Glen

Real cool, I like seeing videos it always looks so much easier the bummer is when I try and play with a backing track it all falls to bits. :(

But it's fun and it passes the time. (y)

Thanks, Thatman! One thing to remember is that I spent 3-4 hours (at least) learning each one of these four solos. Then I recorded them individually over the span of a couple of weeks, each solo probably taking me 25-30 takes to get it right, even with the entire solo memorized (those are the solos in post #1 of this thread). Then, to record a video of them stitched together, that took another 40-50 takes to get a full recording I was satisfied with....and even then I made several mistakes (I misplayed the turnaround of B.B.'s solo [bar #11] but managed to play something musical to hold it together and then I flubbed one part of Clapton's solo). But I just kept playing and tried to keep it fluid and in time because I figured most people would never know exactly what I had intended to play.

My encouragement is to keep playing and it'll come. I'm so, so far from where I want to be as a player, but when I look back on how much progress I've made in the last 2-3 years, it motivates me to keep trying to get better.