Pedals/Effects Best multi-effects unit on a budget?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
How many of you are using multi-effects instead of individual pedals? If you're using one, which one are you using, and how much did you spend on it? I'm looking for the best multi-effect on a budget that I can recommend to a buddy. Definitely sub-$500, but sub-$300 if you can. I don't think he cares if it's used so long as it works. What do y'all have, and what do you like about the ones in his price range? He spotted an used Boss ME-80 at the local GC for $200, and that's what he's leaning towards at the moment.

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
Mooer Red Truck - $181.00 from AliExpress. Meets all my needs, I play at home.
Good fun to play with, small, compact, light. Comes with a carrying case.
IMO - value for money.

MarcV

Blues Junior
I picked up a used ME25 (stripped down version of ME80) and I like it a lot. So I am guessing the ME80 is good. As soon as I got it I sold my pedal board which consisted of overdrive, distortion, and delay. Having said that it depends on what you are in to. I have zero interest in tweaking a bunch of knobs to get different sounds. I have three or four basic sounds that I like the ME25 allows me to just select a preset patch and run with it. However if you want to tweak the individual effects in the chain to simulate different pedal set ups you can do that. If you are into tweaking and setting up your own presets then the ME80 is definitely worth the extra money over the ME25 (although I don't think they even sell the ME25 anymore) as I believe the ME80 has like 6 different different stomps to switch between presets.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I really like zoom. Don't need a manual for it. It's pretty intuitive.
I have the Zoom G5n used for $200. I like it allot

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
There are some great, low-priced, multi-effects/amp modellers out there right now. If you just want effects, then the Red Truck is a great choice.
However, if you need/want more, then the NUX MG-300 will give you the most bang for your buck, with excellent amp sims and good effects. I recently got one cheap to compare to a Hotone Ampero One I bought recently. I'm in the process of writing up a review on both, but I would say the MG-300 holds it's own with the Ampero at half the price. I also had a review of the Mooer GE-150 here a few months ago, which is also a nice option.

straightblues

Blues Junior
Buy used and don't overthink it. If you buy used and find out it isn't right for you, you can resell it and try something else. I use the Line 6 HXFX. I got it used for $400. There are plenty of used option that a top tier for less than $500. If you buy used and buy a big name like Boss, Line 6, etc, it will be easier to get your money out of it.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
personally I find the boss me80 and me50 to be crap..................but thats just my opinion.

you can get a used Avid 11r for under $300 easily, between making your own patches, downloading others, great audio interface, and that aint even scratching the surface. I have had mine at least 4 years now and will not give it up

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I can vouch for the quality of the Tech 21 Fly Rig...I have one of the first ones made and still really like it...I've played the Mooer Red Truck and it's a nice unit...

the entire effects/multi effects things is a major rabbit hole...and I'm speaking from experience...:whistle::whistle::whistle:...later.

cowboy

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
personally I find the boss me80 and me50 to be crap..................but thats just my opinion.

you can get a used Avid 11r for under $300 easily, between making your own patches, downloading others, great audio interface, and that aint even scratching the surface. I have had mine at least 4 years now and will not give it up

I second this.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Keep the ideas coming, y'all. I'm passing the comments along. Little more information I got last night. Confirmed that it doesn't matter if it's new or used so long as it works. He's wanting it to be floor-based and not an amp or rack mount because he would like to use it playing at his church where they do the silent-stage thing. He wants floor based because he wants the flexibility to vary options/patches between songs. It also needs to be something that he can get at GC because he has a gift card to help him out. He used my Mustang Floor at his house for a while and liked it well enough, but wants to get his own something and quit borrowing, and I'm not ready to get rid of the Floor. I did, however, let him know that, if he got something that he ended up just not liking, I'd buy it off of him for the price he paid so he wouldn't have to take a loss on it. After last night, he's pausing on the Boss and looking at the options from Mooer and Tech21.

And I have to say that, while I appreciate y'all's input for my buddy here, I hate all y'all right now! Dang enablers!! lol I've been doing good on GAS lately until a couple of you mentioned the 11r. I pulled the trigger too late to get one when Sweetwater dropped the price a couple of Christmases ago because they were out by then, but always wanted to get one and play with it. Looks like you can find them used pretty easily for 2 bills. I do not need an 11r. If I got one, where would I put it? I DO not need an 11r. I bet it would fit right there next to my recorder. I do NOT need an 11r. I always like the sounds that folks get from them. I do not NEED an 11r. The only thing saving me right now is the card is across the house in my wallet and I'm too lazy to walk over there. Disaster averted...for now. :whistle:

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
now that change things, so now I have one suggestion

I have one of these I use a ton, it does have a 12ax7 tube in it which they say really elevates the sound, personally I believe it. It also has a USB out for recording (never tried it on this), cab emulations, amp emulations, expression pedal (volume or wah), some pre-sets to get up and go, or like I do, turn everything off and adjust like regular pedals.

I have used the boss ME80 and compared to this, thought the Boss sounded like a dog turd, even compared to some pedals I like this a lot better. There is a switch on the back for going toa VOX, Fender, Marshall style amps. I ahve never found anyone say anything negative about them.

There are 4 different versions on there right now including a double expression pedal version

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Vox/Tonelab-EX-Effect-Processor-116355939.gc?rNtt=tonelab&index=1

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I do not need an 11r. If I got one, where would I put it? I DO not need an 11r. I bet it would fit right there next to my recorder. I do NOT need an 11r. I always like the sounds that folks get from them. I do not NEED an 11r. The only thing saving me right now is the card is across the house in my wallet and I'm too lazy to walk over there. Disaster averted...for now. :whistle:
Of course you don't need one...
evil.gif

Dueling_Racks.jpg

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I recently got a Line6 Pod Go... and though I'm not an expert or familiar with most of the other gear mentioned in this thread... I LOVE it. I've avoided pedals until I got this one and I find it easy to use and great sounding... to me anyway!