Best amp for blues beginners

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
Ok guys I'm full in with this community now !! Just purchased the blues for beginners and I'm gonna start the first lesson !!! I took your word for granted !!!
Hope to have a blast !!!

kmonroe99

Blues Newbie
Congratulations! When you need a little break, you can play with Griff's 4-Note Blues Solo too:

You can get the tab and I think the backing track for free.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I think the Orange amp had a nice sound. My wife's 20LDX sounds nice when you drive it a little. At low volume it doesn't really sing very well. I think that may be the sealed cab that causes that? At mid level on the volume it has a nice sound.

But it doesn't matter what I think or anybody else, other than the person buying the amp. use your ears and buy what sounds good to you. Don't listen with your eyes and read what sounds good according to somebody else.

So many people rave about the Mustang and it just leaves me un-impressed. It sounds like a small amp trying to sound like a big amp? But lot's people love their Mustangs. Are they wrong? Of course not. What would be wrong would be for me to buy one because somebody told how great it was.

Don't let a few controls or features scare you away either. My bedroom practice amp is a Peavey Vypyr 15W. It is a modelling amp and every knob except the Master Volume has at least 2 functions depending on the mode it's in. I put an 8" hemp cone from Eminence in it, and that's about it. When I play I just leave it so that the default setup is what I like, and I just use that. I occasionally use the Flanger or the Auto-Wah or the echo, or try the Vox sim, or the Classic 30 sim, but usually I just stick with Fender Twin, with a little reverb. it is a nice sweet sounding amp at low volume. If I try to crank it up, then it sounds like crap. But I just don't do that.

I suspect the Yamaha is the same way. It has 5" speakers in it, or 3x5 inch? It sounds fine at low volume, but if you try to crank it and rock the house, it ain't gonna work.

If you are just starting out, what you want is an amp that sounds nice, and encourages you to practice. Practice is what you need, not a fancy amp. In my case the limiting factor is me, not the amp in terms of how good it sounds. My guitar teacher sounds better on the crappy 10W Crate amps we have in the lesson room, than I do on any of my fancy tube amps I have at home.

So enjoy your new amp when you get it, and use it for what it is intended, PRACTICE! PRACTICE! or yeah and don't forget to PRACTICE.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Ok guys I'm full in with this community now !! Just purchased the blues for beginners and I'm gonna start the first lesson !!! I took your word for granted !!!
Hope to have a blast !!!
I assume you mean Beginning Blues Guitar which we abbreviate BBG. You will soon find out if that is an appropriate starting point for you. The first Introduction lesson is VERY basic, like how to hold the pick, but don't let that put you off.

All the courses have separate topic areas in the forum so if you have questions about BBG you should ask in that topic. You also might find it has already been answered.

Good luck on your journey!

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
I assume you mean Beginning Blues Guitar which we abbreviate BBG. You will soon find out if that is an appropriate starting point for you. The first Introduction lesson is VERY basic, like how to hold the pick, but don't let that put you off.

All the courses have separate topic areas in the forum so if you have questions about BBG you should ask in that topic. You also might find it has already been answered.

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks I'm already hooked on BBG !!!
Started last night and went all the way to the second licks lesson !! Had to stop my self not to kill my fingers :)

So glad I purchased this I'm loving it !!

sloslunas

NM Blues
Thanks I'm already hooked on BBG !!!
Started last night and went all the way to the second licks lesson !! Had to stop my self not to kill my fingers :)

So glad I purchased this I'm loving it !!
That course is a whole lot of fun....enjoy!

Steve

HalfBlindLefty

Blues Newbie
I'd say go for a nice modeler like the Mustangs or Vox valvetronics. To start with they are good enough and nice sounds are not to hard to get.

I don't want to to bias you opinion.
Mentioning Vox reminds me of a real nice little (tiny) Vox tube amp that still can roar when paired with a great speaker (cabinet)
Currently my sone is using my Vox Little Nighttrain, 1.5 Watts of tube power. Great little amp that I got quite cheap (used)

Yes, the pen in front is normal size

vox ltn 3 800.jpg

This is the (my) setup my son is using semi permanent ;) Vox LTN and a homebuild Cabinet Containing a 80's Celestion G12M75 speaker.
I've put some Mullard tubes in the amp that upped the sound quite a bit.

Vox Kitty cab.jpg

For those who would like to hear the combination I'll put some sound demo's in "Other Member Recordings"

Last edited:

John Danielson

Blues Newbie
I bought a Mustang I v2 at Christmas. I love the amp. I wanted something light to carry, has plenty of power for home practice, head phone jack (which I use all the time), input jack for backtracks you have on cell phone or computer. It does have way too many selections.
What I found was that I set the amp clean and use pedals for sounds I like, or I set it to the twin reverb with a little reverb. I just dont really see a need to play with all the settings. For $100 you cant go wrong.
I too am looking for another amp (Rivera Chubster or Sedonna) but I'll keep the mustang for the home use.

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
Congratulations! When you need a little break, you can play with Griff's 4-Note Blues Solo too:

You can get the tab and I think the backing track for free.
Wow this solo is amazing, I hope I'm gonna be able to play that soon !!!
Might take a while though :)

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
I'm bit stuck on the Sitting easy blues for now and the blues turn around at the moment but I guess that's part of being a beginner !!
Timing is tough and counting is def the key but I need to work on that !! Passing from from one chord to another in time is so hard right now !!!
Practice, practice practice :)

kmonroe99

Blues Newbie
I'm bit stuck on the Sitting easy blues for now and the blues turn around at the moment but I guess that's part of being a beginner !!
Timing is tough and counting is def the key but I need to work on that !! Passing from from one chord to another in time is so hard right now !!!
Practice, practice practice :)
I get stuck like that all the time. That's when I go play with the 4 note solo, or noodle around with a pentatonic scale :)

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
Even with 4 notes, this solo looks pretty damn hard !!
Incredible what you can do with so little.
This man is amazing, Thank you all and thank you Griff !!
I wish I could get lessons in real life !!!

kmonroe99

Blues Newbie
Even with 4 notes, this solo looks pretty damn hard !!
Incredible what you can do with so little.
This man is amazing, Thank you all and thank you Griff !!
I wish I could get lessons in real life !!!
Just try it, slow, one bar at a time. I think I'm up to the first 4 bars :)