Best amp for blues beginners

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I'll just put in a vote here for the Roland microCube for a bedroom practice amp. Mine is from before USB recording interfaces but has several amp models and built in effects, I just stick a mic in front of it. All my recordings posted here are with that setup.

The Peavey amplifiers withTranstube technology, if they are available where you are, have some of the benefits of solid state amps with some tube-like characteristics. The Bandit and Studio Pro are models that come to mind, both are close to your stated price range. I add to the recomendations of the Fender Mustang, i enjoy mine. The Orange and most others mentioned are quality amps too.

You should read some of the threads in this forum about GAS, we are the wrong bunch to ask if you trying to narrow down your choices.

I'll leave it at this - if it fits your budget, pleases your ear and you have fun playing it then it is the right choice for you.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
The Peavey amplifiers withTranstube technology, if they are available where you are, have some of the benefits of solid state amps with some tube-like characteristics. The Bandit and Studio Pro are models that come to mind, both are close to your stated price range. I add to the recomendations of the Fender Mustang, i enjoy mine. The Orange and most others mentioned are quality amps too.

You should read some of the threads in this forum about GAS, we are the wrong bunch to ask if you trying to narrow down your choices.

I'll leave it at this - if it fits your budget, pleases your ear and you have fun playing it then it is the right choice for you.
+1 !! yes! :thumbup:

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
Thank you so much to all of you for the great advice !! I'm gonna study closely all your recommendations and make a choice from there !!

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
Hi everybody,

So I've narrowed down 3 amps and I wanted to know if you could help me make my mind.

Yamaha THR10C
Orange Crush 20RT
Roland Cube Lite

Thanks

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
Of the three i would go thr :) i have one and its ideal i think for what your after , five amp models plus an acoustic channel and two others that can be used with a guitar, the Bass channel is very good with a guitar.
Interface to record through if needed, can be quite loud when needed, looks good takes up little room, makes agreat speaker system for your phone etc , takes pedals well if you get that far
Here's a track i did in the Jam room using the deluxe clean model

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/tp1ha6ncw6p7vm1/sort of a little wing.mp3?dl=0

kmonroe99

Blues Newbie
I haven't played any of them and I'm not an experienced player. I am experienced at being a noob :) I like the Orange, based on simplicity of controls and separate clean/dirty controls, and the reverb.

I know the Yamaha gets really good reviews but for me, the controls are a little too similar to the Mustang series. They've all got phone out and aux in which is good.

I also second a comment about Sweetwater if you ever have to order anything.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
the thr could not be simpler, other than the effects which are pretty self explanitory and can be further enhanced using the very simple software the actual amp controls are WYSIWYG, what you see is what you get , just like any simple amp :)

The Orange will sound like shite compared to the yamaha beleive me ;)

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Of those 3, I would join Billrand and recommend going with the Yamaha, no question about it. Whichever you choose, enjoy the heck out of it and welcome to the forum:):Beer::)

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
Well I think i'm sold guys I'm gonna go for the Yamaha !!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all your precious advice !!

KAS2

Blues Newbie
I also have a THR10C and it is a great home amp. Just remember not to get too caught up on all the sound options. Dial in a tone you like and practice. I know from personal experience that I wasted more practice time messing around turning dials and questioning my tone rather than actually playing & learning.

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
Hey guys there it is, I bought the Yamaha !! I'm stocked it's sound great, so much better than my old shitty amp !!!

So far I love the US blues tone on it, then again I'm a real newbie so I'm really just fooling around. But I'm definitely going to follow your advice KAS2 and stick to this tone for now, until I get better.

Now my next question is do you guys know any very simple liks that I could learn to practice and get better ?

Thanks

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Hey guys there it is, I bought the Yamaha !! I'm stocked it's sound great, so much better than my old shitty amp !!!

So far I love the US blues tone on it, then again I'm a real newbie so I'm really just fooling around. But I'm definitely going to follow your advice KAS2 and stick to this tone for now, until I get better.

Now my next question is do you guys know any very simple liks that I could learn to practice and get better ?

Thanks
Beginning Blues Guitar.
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/get-beginning-blues-guitar/

you might also try Soloing without Scales as it's a good one for electric guitar.
http://soloingwithoutscales.com/