Best amp for blues beginners

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
Hi,

I'm pretty new to guitar and blues and I'm looking for a good amp below $300.
I have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
This will be to practice at home.

Would be great to have your point of view.

Thanks

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
All depends what you want to do with it, have a variation in amp tones ie modeling? just playing at home at quiet volume? so many possibles, tube? solid state ?, for home use and maybe recording i would reconmend yamaha thr series, vox valvtronix or the fender mustang, i would suggest even the small 5w and up tube amps may be too loud for what you want and maybe a one trick pony tone wise untill you figure out what sort of amp tone your after

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
All depends what you want to do with it, have a variation in amp tones ie modeling? just playing at home at quiet volume? so many possibles, tube? solid state ?, for home use and maybe recording i would reconmend yamaha thr series, vox valvtronix or the fender mustang, i would suggest even the small 5w and up tube amps may be too loud for what you want and maybe a one trick pony tone wise untill you figure out what sort of amp tone your after[

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Frankly I'm a real newbie on this matter I have an old crappy amp at home that started to malfunction so I decided to get a new one. I feel a bit lost now with all the choice, I've been looking at reviews and forums and from what I understand now a tube amp would be the best.
Stupidly I was hoping to find something where I could just plug and play with a minimum of tech but with a good sound. Something to help me get better, for now it's just learning and playing.

Also the problem is that there is not much choice where I leave but I found a Fender mustang II v2 and a Mustang I v2.
Then again it does look to be pretty tech and complicated.
I also saw a Orange Crush 20RT in my budget that looks easy to use but I don't think its a tube amp.

Really appreciate your feedback.

Norfolk Bill

OK well the next question would be what tonal qualities do you like ? Marshall, fender , vox? for home use i would suggest you dont need anything much higher than 15w

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
Now I feel a bit stupid cause I really don't know the difference.
Never tested any of them nor noticed the amp when I saw a live band. Do you think youtube could help ?
Basically I bought a shitty second hand guitar and amp and I'm teaching myself.
I've upgrade the guitar already and now I need to upgrade the amp as the quality of the set I bought is really shit and also malfunctioning.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Norfolk Bill

No worries :) i would surf you tube and check out some vids of tube amps , and decide what sort of tone you like :), you can always buy pedals to change the tone but lets not go down that route yet, you need an amp you like the basic tone of

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Now I feel a bit stupid cause I really don't know the difference.
Never tested any of them nor noticed the amp when I saw a live band. Do you think youtube could help ?
Basically I bought a shitty second hand guitar and amp and I'm teaching myself.
I've upgrade the guitar already and now I need to upgrade the amp as the quality of the set I bought is really shit and also malfunctioning.

Sorry for wasting your time.

You are only asking the questions that all of us have asked at one time or another. No such thing as a stupid question around here. Youtube might help but remember the performance you are hearing will be based on the limitations of your sound card and speakers/headset and would probably sound a little different if it were in front of you with your own guitar.

If I were you you, I would consider the Fender Mustang series amplifier. It has a lot of amp models already loaded, will let you plug in an MP3 paler and Jam along with tracks, has a USB Interface so you can plug it up to your computer and even use it as a computer interface for recording, has a lot of Pedal effects that you can add in and will let you plug in your headset and Jam without bothering the rest of the house.

There is also a lot of members here on the forum that can help you out with the Mustang when you need it, and did I mention that they also won't break the Bank?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...rDXjowMo1gzPJPNLX5z6do22XBD0Qf9G0gxoCMK_w_wcB

There are a bunch more amps from other manufacturers that will do the same thing.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
No need for a tube amp. I'd go grab the Orange 20RT that you saw.

It sounds pretty nice. Not too many knobs. It's nice it has reverb, and the cleans are clean, and the dirty is dirty.

My wife has the Orange Pix 20 LDX, which is also a nice little amp, but it has some effects added. They are well built solid amps.

The 20RT will give you what you need and sound nice doing it.

Tube amps are great, but the 20RT is just fine for now.

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
Thanks a lot for your help and understanding.

I'm not really settled on the tube amp as I'm not sure I could even tell the difference at this stage.
Basis on my research people seemed to say that tube amps are better for blues.

In the end I have to deal with these parameters: my budget, my location and the amp choice.

I saw 2 Fender mustang I and II both v2 and the Orange.
From the reviews and video I checked I like both sounds even though it's through my computer and headphones.

It's just that the mustangs looks complicated to me and the Orange easy to use.

artyman

Fareham UK
I was in the same situation as you, bought a cheap guitar and amp, the guitar was/is OK but the amp was rubbish, so I bought a Vox Valvtronix which is a hybrid valve/modeller, sounded good and used it for a couple of years but have recently changed it for a Mustang which I'm well pleased with.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Thanks a lot for your help and understanding.

I'm not really settled on the tube amp as I'm not sure I could even tell the difference at this stage.
Basis on my research people seemed to say that tube amps are better for blues.

In the end I have to deal with these parameters: my budget, my location and the amp choice.

I saw 2 Fender mustang I and II both v2 and the Orange.
From the reviews and video I checked I like both sounds even though it's through my computer and headphones.

It's just that the mustangs looks complicated to me and the Orange easy to use.
My only real reason for recommending the Mustang over anything similar, is because of the amount of help available here on the Forum if you need it. There are other amps that will do the trick but they don't have the following that Mustang series does. There are a bunch of people here that would be willing to share the patches for the amp configurations they have created.

You have a tough job trying to decide what's best.

kmonroe99

Blues Newbie
I was in your exact position not too long ago and I started with the Mustang 1 - good size, good sound. I went away from it because I found it too "fiddly." For me I couldn't easily look at the knobs and figure out what it was simulating. I have a friend that got the Mustang 2 and loves it.

I went with a simple 5 w tube amp, a HK Tubemeister 5 head and a small Orange cab, but I don't see the HK for sale anymore online. A mistake I made with the Tubemeister is that it doesn't have built in reverb which I now know I'd prefer. I'd throw a Fender Blues Junior in the mix just because it's got simple knobs and includes a spring reverb.

Given the models near where you live, I'd 2nd the Orange Crush 20RT.

Last edited:

Thomahawk

Blues Newbie
Thanks a lot every one !!

Great info I guess I'm gonna have to decide now !!

I checked out the Fender Blues junior but I cannot find it in my region and I'm a bit scared of buying it online.

kmonroe99

Blues Newbie
Thanks a lot every one !!

Great info I guess I'm gonna have to decide now !!

I checked out the Fender Blues junior but I cannot find it in my region and I'm a bit scared of buying it online.
The only disadvantage I've ever found with online is you can't hear/see/touch whatever you're looking for. I live in a smaller town that has the basic Walmart/Target kind of stuff but no audio stores. I've bought amps/cabs/monitors/pedals online with no problems. Everybody has their favorite store(s), mine are Amazon and Sweetwater, based on ease of returns.

Tayport

Blues Newbie
You can't go wrong with a Fender Mustang. If your budget will allow it, go for a Mustang III. You never know, you may want a bigger amp in the future. You can dial the volume level down to an acceptable level for you and it stills sounds great. It really isn't complicated and the Fuse software makes it easy to switch effects. It would also be a good experience for you to experiment with different tones. It comes with a 100 pre-sets that you can modify or change completely, plus as mentioned, there are many resources and advice here on the forum.

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Hey Thomahawk,

I've been where you are. I started playing guitar 5 years ago and have gone through 3 different amps. What I have ended up with is a Mustang 1, V1 and I love it. It is small, light, and very inexpensive. I am a complete non-techie also but the Mustang 1 is really easy to use. People on the forum will give you a basic starting point setting that will sound great and you don't have to do anything but turn it on. As your experience and curiosity grow you will discover and be impressed with the new tones that your Mustang is capable of. People have already mentioned other nice perks with the amp and I'm sure more will be listed. What is awesome for me is that it is very good sounding at all volume levels which is also a nice bonus as my wife and neighbors prefer not to hear me practicing late in the evening. The Mustang 1 doesn't have the features that the 2 or 3 models do but I don't use all of the features on the 1 anyways. For around $100 it was the best equipment decision I have made.

PS: don't be afraid to order online from a place like Sweetwater. There customer service and selection are second to none.

Enjoy the amp search and the amp when you get it!

Last edited:

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
It depends on if you are only going to be playing at home. If so I would highly recommend the Yamaha THR10c for blues. Great tones out of the box. However if in the future you want to fiddle there is also a PC app to adjust the presets. Doesn't really need it as the 5 delivered presets cover most bases for blues.

Also doesn't take up much room so leaves plenty of room for all the extra stuff you will be encouaged to buy if you stick around here for any length of time:LOL:

cheers

Al.