Anybody taken Steve Araujo's bass course?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
FWIW this video also helped me a lot in terms of some easy but useful starter patterns. The first two are trivial but the other four are more interesting and to me are great jumping off points.

That's a pretty good video, especially as a first start for someone who already plays guitar.
But don't give short shrift to the first two root thumping patterns. If you're not one who is big on counting, playing bass will kick your butt. If you use a backing track or a metronome, you need to lock in on the beat. A backing track with a strong drum beat is my personal preference. Try locking in to the drums. It sounds easy...

The only complaint I have about that video is the backing track is way too low in the audio mix. You can't easily hear the drums, which is vital to learning

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
The only complaint I have about that video is the backing track is way too low in the audio mix. You can't easily hear the drums, which is vital to learning

My guess is he wants you to give up your email address to get the emailed tab and backing track files.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
My guess is he wants you to give up your email address to get the emailed tab and backing track files.
I'll be glad to whip out some drum only tracks in 12 bar format. I've been having so much fun with my MIDI editor in Cubase. They are pretty boring to listen to, but they definitely will instill a very structured rhythm.
I actually prefer working with drum only tracks on bass, rather than with drums and other instruments. It's way too easy to listen to the other instruments for the changes. IMHO, it's much more valuable to develop that ability to actually hear the song in your head.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
That would be way cool! I don’t have a drummer around for post-open-mic jams as a rule so it’d be good to get used to listening for one. Thanks! :Beer:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
FWIW this video also helped me a lot in terms of some easy but useful starter patterns. The first two are trivial but the other four are more interesting and to me are great jumping off points.

That was a good video. I have no criticism of his musical points, but...

Didn't realy get into the difference beween shuffle feel and straight 8. Played exampes but not really teaching

He was using his little finger a lot and wrist down low, but never commented on LH technique

The first couple of riffs were based on minor pent. The laters based on major pent- no analysis of that

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
and Kalamazoo of course
Being the original home of Gibson, the current home of Heritage guitars and after being immortalized in a Glenn Miller tune, how could one ever overlook Kalamazoo?

Disclaimer: I spent most of my single digit years listening to this. My dad was a rabid Glenn Miler and big band fan. He bought every reissue and soundalike album of Miller, Dorsey Brothers and Benny Goodman he could find for years and years. I know most of this stuff by heart.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Being the original home of Gibson, the current home of Heritage guitars and after being immortalized in a Glenn Miller tune, how could one ever overlook Kalamazoo?

Disclaimer: I spent most of my single digit years listening to this. My dad was a rabid Glenn Miler and big band fan. He bought every reissue and soundalike album of Miller, Dorsey Brothers and Benny Goodman he could find for years and years. I know most of this stuff by heart.
I've got a gal in Kalamazoo also, but don't tell my wife. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaahahaaaaaaaaaaa.:whistle::rolleyes::D

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Still no word on the bass I ordered. Geeez! :notworthy::cry:
I went ahead and ordered one in walnut a few days after your post so I'm in the same boat - although they told me 3-4 weeks to ship when I ordered and it's only been two, so I'm not too flustered yet. Hang in there!

[Update: Just a few hours after I posted that, I got my tracking number from Sweetwater. Hope you see yours soon, Tom!]

Last edited:

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I went ahead and ordered one in walnut a few days after your post so I'm in the same boat - although they told me 3-4 weeks to ship when I ordered and it's only been two, so I'm not too flustered yet. Hang in there!

[Update: Just a few hours after I posted that, I got my tracking number from Sweetwater. Hope you see yours soon, Tom!]
Me too! (n)

Reactions: dvs