another way of finding those notes

L

Lame_Pinkey

Seems that this topic has died a little, maybe everyone has found the notes & is no longer interested, but there is always new SWS players coming along so...
As with my previous post we have the Fret Pro game to help in finding those notes, it won't do it for you on its own but it helps.We know how to find the note from the octave but as Griff mentioned this is not " finding the note you want right away "  & the whole idea of this exercise is to be able to identify the notes quickly & accurately - just as you can find the notes on the 6th & 5th string.So it is still a process of getting it into the memory banks - & keeping it there !
Another way to do this , with guitar in hand & following the notes as outlined in SWS , is to use the ' 5 pattern ' ( I just made that up ) by going back 5 frets from the fret you are on & the adjacent string under you  have the same note ( this is if starting on the 6th string - if we start at the 1st string we go forward 5 frets , not counting the fret you are on ) so for D its 6th string 10th fret , 5 frets back/adjacent string , we have D on the 5th fret, 5th string.This continue's its merry way until we get to the party pooper string - the 2nd ! It does not want to play ball & likes to be a bit dificult , so when going from the 3rd string to find the note on the 2nd we only count back 4 frets ( not counting the one you are on - & vice versa if we are starting on the 1st string ), i hope this is understandable & clear because I got one of my headaches now  :(

edit : I forgot to add that if you have, say 'G' 0n the 6th string 3rd fret, you still count back 5 frets & when you reach the nut, you continue from the 12th fret as the notes are the same at the 12th so you end up on the 10th fret 5th string ' D ' .
LP

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Good tips man. I'm up to C# in the note memorizing and have 3 left I believe. Then I guess it'll be mixing and matching and doing different string orders to really get them down. The Fretpro game is cool, but for me it didn't help. It's hard to explain, but it got to where I could find the notes when I had my guitar in front of me looking at it, but holding it and finding them were a different story. Make sense? Weird. I have to practice memorizing them sitting down and then standing up also after realizing after a week I couldn't find the notes anymore at the angle when I was standing. Just takes time I suppose. Thanks for these tips.  :)

henryj

Blues Newbie
I've been doing the other way using 7 7 7 8 7.   Count UP and when you get to the 12th fret just continue counting from the top.
If you want to play below the 12th fret (which I'm not yet) it is a straight line. So I think the 7 and 8 will work out better in the long run.

Just another way of doing the same thing. I just get a better mental picture with 7 and 8.