another vid.

RALKITE

Blues Newbie
Two tunes, and a hat for Spencer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faeR96MXlbE

As usual I need all the tips and hints and advice I can get.

M

MandyC

Very nice, good tone from that guitar. :cool:
Just a bit of hesitation here and there (who doesn't) but it'll all tighten up with practice.
It looked like you were moving up the fretboard with the A strum, is that easier than using your pinky? I haven't tried it that way.
Nice hat too!

RALKITE

Blues Newbie
I use my pinky for that bit to slide with. Getting my third finger there doesn't work for me.

johnc

systematic
Thanks for the Video RALKITE,
You are certainly getting it together there.  My thoughts on your playing from watching and listening are:
Just slow down a little so that you have time to maintain your rhythm timing.
Also it appeared that you were using mostly downstrokes (but I could be wrong because you were some distance away) If you are well then it is time that you need to practice alternate picking, so if you pick down then the next note is picked upwards.  This will be an essential thing to master as you progress as a guitarist when using a pick at least.
Were you using a pick or finger picking this lesson?

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Way to put this up Ralkite. Love the videos and the hat of course! I don't know how efficient you are with barre chords (I wasn't at all) but it's time for you to start working on the next lessons for sure!! The cool thing is that those 2 songs are so fun to play, you can work on them when the hands start getting sore from the barre chords (unless you're already great at them) and then after you have the barre chords lessons down, you'll have about 200 more run throughs with both of those songs and before you know it they will sounds amazing. Keep it up man!!

RALKITE

Blues Newbie
Thanks guys for the tips.
I'm a bit lazy with the up picking, only doing it when it seems comfortable rather than working on it. will work on it.
I try to start slow but an easy bit sucks me in and speeds me up, then it's like multi-tasking my brain to pull in the reins.

Yes I use a pick.

did my first try at the G Barre chords last night, sort of like bashing your head against a wall, feels good when you stop.

find the Barre not so bad, but getting the other finger to go where they should is the killer.

200 tries to go.

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
Good job.  If you have a metronome, or can tap your foot, it'll help you keep the beat.  As we all know, it's just more practice.  Play on!  :cool:

L

Lame_Pinky

Hey Ral you're on the right road just a mtter of putting it together in a more ' flowing ' way but that will happen before you know it.Keep going back when you can & watch Griff in the BBG lessons you'll just see some things that you may have missed earlier - I do that all the time - sort of a
" hey I should be doing that at ...".

LP

ps shoot those birds in the background too !

J

jhagan421

Ral
I loved it you looked really comfortable.  it'll smooth out in a bit more time.  ( I tell myself that too  :))

great thing about Vids you get a lot of constructive feedback

RALKITE

Blues Newbie
I really had the "hit record, play crap" blues  happening.
(all the other takes included F words, and much wailing and gnashing of teeth.)
but comforted myself with the idea that it would be better for getting feedback.

Plus they are not mistakes, just subconscious artistic interpretation.

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
I really had the "hit record, play crap" blues  happening.
(all the other takes included F words, and much wailing and gnashing of teeth.)
but comforted myself with the idea that it would be better for getting feedback.

Plus they are not mistakes, just subconscious artistic interpretation.

Yeah Ralkite, that recording thing with the subconscious artistic interpretation seems to happen to a lot of us.  Very good recordings, both of them.  The flow will get smoother & smoother with repetition.  As John said, slow it down a bit, if you need to, to get the flow spot on & then bring the tempo to where you want it.  Again, very well done. 

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Well done Ralkite!  You're really getting them under your fingers.  Keep up the practice and it will get sweeter and sweeter.  :cool:

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
that was pretty good. i am glad to see postings with fingers cause you get a sense of how to work your hands a bit better. keep it up!