Another bend question

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
It seems that the answer is obvious but as I haven't seen it in black & white anywhere and I am just starting out on bends....

If you are playing say a B at the 7th fret high e string & the TAB says 'full bend' then you are aiming to bend to a C#? In other words, are there any special rules about bending B & E since the next 'whole note' is only half a tone away?

D

devere_woods@yahoo.com

I'm not an authority on the subject, but I was taught that a full bend is a bend to the note 2 frets higher and a half step bend is a bend to the note 1 fret higher.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
That's what I figured DW... it was one of those thoughts that made me stop & wonder if there was something else I should know :)

TonyS

Blues Newbie
Good question.  In my opinion though only bend to the C# from the B if C# is in the key you are playing. If you are in C major or G Major, for example, the next note in the scale from the B is C, not C#.  You may find that bending to the C# makes the note sound wrong.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I read somewhere that it is the 2 fret rule for a full bend and one fret for 1/2 bend and 3 frets for the bend and a half.

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
Well, what's the actual definition of a step? Is a step the next whole note, or is it just the next fret?

I don't know about the validity of it, but here's an explanation. Where are our theory junkies when we need them?

http://www.supersonic.net/guitar/lessons/lesson-32.htm

B

b0b_b4rk3r

I think the bend is measured in Tones (Steps).....half a tone...full tone....1 1/2 tones.......so effectively 1, 2 or 3 frets respectively...... :)

Depending on which key you are in and which note you are bending you'll be trying to acheive the next 1.2 or 3 notes with the bend....so it stays within the key..... :)

So if after the B the C is the next note in the scale a half Tone bend would be OK....but if C# is the next note in the scale a half tone bend to C would sound flat...so you'd have to give it a whole Tone bend...... ;)

Clear as mud?

Bob

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Just so I am clear, is the essence of the question" "Is bending a full step going to the next note in the scale (one fret from B/C and E/F) or always going two frets higher?

Is that right?

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Kind of... with any note other than B or E it's clear that a full bend is 2 frets/1 note.

I wondered in the case of B & E whether a full bend was 1 fret as a full note or 2 frets as a full tone.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Ok, that is what I was trying to rephrase above and a very good question.  Hopefully Griff will weigh in when he feels better.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Ok, now, I could be wrong, but when I see a full bend, It means two frets to me.

D

devere_woods@yahoo.com

I think some of the confusion concerns writing tab or playing tab. If you are writing tab and what to bend to the next note then knowing you are on a B or E is important. If you are playing tab, you don't necessarily need to know the name of the note you are bending. If the tab indicates a full bend you bend to the note two frets higher. You can play tab without knowing musical theory or even the notes on the fret board. In any case as has been said already, your ear is the best judge.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks for all the input guys, it has turned out to be a pretty interesting thought.

[560, is Griff not well? Hope you feel better soon Griff if you read this]

johnc

systematic
Yeah, assume the person who wrote the tab knows what they are doing and what scale they are working in.

Full bend always =  2 frets
Half bend always = 1 fret

If it just shows a bend without specifying the target note, just bend to what sounds best.

R

RichC

A full bend is two frets and a half bend is one fret. A full bend is also noted by the number 1 and a half bend by a 1/2.
So where ever you end up sharp flat etc thats where the music is instructing you to be.

Rich C

gpower

Blues Junior
Yeah, assume the person who wrote the tab knows what they are doing and what scale they are working in.

Full bend always =  2 frets
Half bend always = 1 fret

If it just shows a bend without specifying the target note, just bend to what sounds best.

Ditto!