An Important Aspect is....

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
The desired result is to "play in time". There are different approaches to that topic.

I had a band mate in 1964-65 who kept time by tapping his left foot. No one in the group could look at him while he tapped that shoe as he tapped out of time - too fast - too slow - and never on the beat. However, he kept perfect time when he played. :)

Tom

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
The desired result is to "play in time". There are different approaches to that topic.

I had a band mate in 1964-65 who kept time by tapping his left foot. No one in the group could look at him while he tapped that shoe as he tapped out of time - too fast - too slow - and never on the beat. However, he kept perfect time when he played. :)

Tom
Chris and I have an inside joke about a bass player who used to do the same thing... he would rock back and forth in a rhythm none of us could figure out and had nothing to do with the tune!

Sometimes just to mess with him I'll start doing the same thing and he has to turn away :)

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Chris and I have an inside joke about a bass player who used to do the same thing... he would rock back and forth in a rhythm none of us could figure out and had nothing to do with the tune!

Sometimes just to mess with him I'll start doing the same thing and he has to turn away :)

That took me back to some really funny times, and put a huge smile on my face! :)

We had so many jokes (all in fun) about our bass players. They are truly in a different world. Then a few years ago I took up the bass and realized how much fun they are having! Who needs a melody line? :)

Tom

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist

A lot of players do things like that and I'm one of them.

When I count, I tap my foot just like anyone else, but when I get to a certain part of a tune, I'll often resort to some esoteric way of remembering a lick or a pattern and my foot either stops altogether or I start doing something with it that to anyone watching would seem completely out of sync -- but it works for me and that's all that matters.

Here's another weird thing I do:
When I'm playing "standard" blues licks I either watch what I'm doing or otherwise keep my eyes open.
But when I'm doing something quick or polyrythmic, especially in a "House Pattern" or something like it, I HAVE to close my eyes!
If I watch what I'm doing or even keep my eyes open I tend to screw it up. There's just something about tricky licks that I have to "see" with my mind instead of my eyes.

Strange huh? :rolleyes:

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
So now I've finished the Dec '16 Challenge and it is more clear to me now then ever before that it is this course that I have to spend a good degree of time with. Getting the lick married to the right beat is crucial and counting is the trick. Phew, it's not as easy as folk make it out to be and I'm one of those people that need to learn the counting and playing skill whilst listening to a backing track.