Amazing Grace Re-try

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Very nice! It actually reminded me a bit of Don Edwards. If you haven't heard of him, he's a guy from here in TX that I first heard when I was a kid. He's been one of a handful that's been carrying on the cowboy music tradition.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
That was great !
Nice recording Dave.
A very genuine production.:thumbup:
A good kickoff to a new year.

Am I hearing some harmony or just a double track?, give us the scoop on your recording/mixing.
It turned out very well!

Well done!!!!!
(y)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
t a double track?
Capn; all I did was --I ran the vocals through my P.A. mic'd my speakers into the Zoom- adjusted the treble and reverb to what I thought sounded the best too me. Guitar through the Zoom-Then added a simple bass track and another vocal track. Everything else was handled
with the faders when I was recording it onto the master track.

Thanks J.M. it is such a great song that I have been singing since my childhood. One of those songs you never get tired of hearing...
Thanks Steve--Happy New Year.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Like "Hard Times" (I did it the same way) there is a little static at the very beginnig that is coming out of the treble setting and going through the speakers. I use one of those HI-$$$$ Squire 100 watt- 4 channel P.A. heads. Through equally exspensive Squire 8"- 4 ohm speakers, they are very hard to find now days, most of them went to the dump a week after they were bought. :eek: Yikes but true.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Like "Hard Times" (I did it the same way) there is a little static at the very beginnig that is coming out of the treble setting and going through the speakers. I use one of those HI-$$$$ Squire 100 watt- 4 channel P.A. heads. Through equally exspensive Squire 8"- 4 ohm speakers, they are very hard to find now days, most of them went to the dump a week after they were bought. :eek: Yikes but true.
I'm still a little confused on how and why you do that.
Do you record the vocal into the Zoom then play it back through the PA and mic it for a new track?

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I'm still a little confused on how and why you do that.
I run the vocal into the P.A. set the Treble -Mid-bass and reverb on head, then run the mic from the speakers into the Zoom, the main reason for it is a lot easier FOR ME to dial in the the sound I want 1st---- instead of goofing around with all that EQn--Effects-and all that other stuff. I want to hear the voice I am recording, not a dry run, that I might be able to duplicate. It takes a lot of the guess work out of first instead of last. --it also makes the song a lot easier for me to sing because it gives me more confidence to go to different vocal ranges and phrasing.
I mic the speaker with the Sm-58 several feet behind me, then do the vocal on the SM-57-facing away from the speakers, not much of the sound is coming from the speakers that gets to the SM-57. It's like playing live in front of people vs. playing in the recording room.
I am not all that great at that digital recording thing, if I had the skills like a lot of you guys on here I would probably do it, but I run low on patients when dealing with things I don't know much about,. I like just getting up there and singing the song the best I can---which ain't all that good, more times than not. --You heard my 1st vocals on "Hard Times" pretty damn corase, once I run through the P.A. head It gave you something kind of workable.
That's about the best I can explain it. Maybe some other Blues Brothers are having same problem as me and might want to give it a try. Got nothing to lose.. Later.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
OH...OK,
I got it.
You've got two mics going...... 57 into the PA,........... 58 recording the PA output.
You do all the EQ on the PA.
Pretty innovative approach.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Thanks Mike--I try-but it ain't easy, but when you do a song you Love, it gets a whole lot easier. Thanks again

Capn; you sure you didn't mean PRE_HISTORIC.:D

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thanks Mike--I try-but it ain't easy, but when you do a song you Love, it gets a whole lot easier. Thanks again

Capn; you sure you didn't mean PRE_HISTORIC.:D
Nope!
If you look back at the Big recording stars of the passed ( well actually same applies for the new stars) they usually take a different path from the crowd.
You've got a unique recording setup, if it delivers good music, it should not be questioned.

WimVD

Every day I have the blues
I like both the singing and the playing, Dave. Well done. I enjoyed it.

Wim