AAP Technique Major Pentatonic Sound - 3+2

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Griff mentioned the Major 3+2 move during this session and that it was in Rut Busters.
It got me thinking... (Not always a good thing)

While reviewing Rut Busters I want off on the Minor tangent and was having a hard time fingering it until I realized that Griff had shown a different fingering for the Am.
In Rut Busters he starts the Am pentatonic 3+2 on the 5th fret of the 6th string.& Playing 5, 8 10 then dropping to the 4th string and Playing 7, 10 and so on.
In another lesson (I can't remember which) he showed it starting on the same note, but only playing that ONE note on the 6th string then dropping to the 5th string and playing 3,5,7 then dropping to the 4th string and playing 5,7 and so in.
I find the second fingering MUCH more comfortable and easier to remember for some reason.
In the image below, the example in the first 4 bars is the one I find more comfortable. The rest of the image is from Rut Busters.

It helps me to have another way to look at things. Maybe it will help you too?
3+2_2020-06-06.png

Randy S

Blues Junior
The post yesterday by Anthony of Texas Blues Alley shows yet another way of playing the pattern starting on the b3 and ending on the root rather than starting on the root and ending on the b7. Anthony's demonstration was in Em- the attachment shows Am. Note that this is the C Major (the relative to Am) pattern, which, of course, has the same 5 notes.

Oops -just realized I did this chart in F#m and A Major, not Am and C Major. Either way I think you get the idea.

Attachments

• 3 Plus 2.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
The "Not Rut Buster" pattern w/o the first A, is also the C Major pattern.

From the 5th string root.:)