AAP Major Scale Major Chord Session 1/5/21

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
@Griff Hey Griff. Great session tonight. I think there was a whole lot of interest in this overall but especially at the end where you soloed following the chords through the G C D progression.

I think another AAP session (or two or maybe even a course) would be of interest.

There is a local guy who I’ve been fortunate to jam with several times last year. He is a good friend. He is a blues player. He’s played live with Leroy Parnell and Marshall Tucker multiple times.

He is self taught but clearly understands theory and for sure the fretboard. His name is Jimmy Murray. He’s on FB and goes live on weekends. In around 2007, he put out a DVD called The Jimmy Murray 10 Minute Method which pretty much outlines what you were showing us.

I’d like to send it to you just to see it. If interested, email me your address.

John

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I think there was a whole lot of interest in this overall but especially at the end where you soloed following the chords through the G C D progression.

I think another AAP session (or two or maybe even a course) would be of interest.

Griff uses this progression in Lesson 12 of "Guitar Theory Made Useful" as the classic example of "Tonal Center vs. Key" (page 55).

He also uses this very same progression for his Mixolydian Solo example in his "Modes Unleashed" course.

And I'm pretty sure(?) it's come up in a previous session(s) involving Modes.

I'll check it out.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I'm reviewing all of the Archives dealing with Modes and Pentatonic soloing. Each one takes about an hour. :eek:

Anyway, so far I've seen that the Theory Session from 6-2-20, "Modes Revisited", deals with this progression from about 26 minutes in til about 39 minutes. :)

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Griff uses this progression in Lesson 12 of "Guitar Theory Made Useful" as the classic example of "Tonal Center vs. Key" (page 55).

He also uses this very same progression for his Mixolydian Solo example in his "Modes Unleashed" course.

And I'm pretty sure(?) it's come up in a previous session(s) involving Modes.

Possibly the one on Pentatonic vs Diatonic soloing? :unsure:
It seemed familiar as I was talking about it, like we'd had that before... thanks for finding it.

Though, it still might be fun to talk about it from that more "country" point of view :)